26.2 C
Accra
Friday, January 28, 2022
No menu items!

Oscars 2019: All awards will be shown live after backlash

Must Read

Government to pay arrears owed NABCO trainees – Dr John Kumah

Story By: Henrietta Afful A Deputy Minister of Finance, Dr John Kumah has assured Nation Builders Corps, NABCO, trainees that...

Ex-Nigeria coach Rohr might be a surprise candidate for the Ghana job

By Benjamin Willie Graham Former Nigeria coach, Gernot Rohr could have thrown his hat into the race for the Ghana...

Wearing ”G-Strings” could be problematic- Gynecologist

By Godfred Zina A Gynecologist, Dr. Kennedy Tettey Coffie Brightson, says women could get Virginal infections through the wearing of...
Seli Baisie
Journalist/ Entertainment, Lifestyle blogger, Nature Lover.

The organisers of the Oscars have reversed an earlier decision to hand out four awards during ad breaks after facing a major backlash.
The presentations for live action short, cinematography, editing and make-up and hair were to be streamed online in an effort to shorten this year’s TV broadcast on 24 February.
Dozens of directors, cinematographers and actors had criticised the decision.
Organisers said they had heard the “feedback” and changed their mind.
A statement by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences said: “All Academy Awards will be presented without edits, in our traditional format.
We look forward to Oscar Sunday, February 24.”
This is not the first controversy to hit this year’s awards ceremony – the Academy had decided to introduce a new popular film category but decided to postpone it after a backlash.
The show will also have no main host after actor Kevin Hart pulled out following controversy over homophobic tweets.
The Academy emailed its members on 11 February to say that, in order to keep the show down to three hours, they would present four awards during commercial breaks.
Previous ceremonies have gone on for more than four hours and last year’s broadcast had an all-time low of 26.5 million viewers.
Prominent figures in the film industry objected, including Russell Crowe who called it “a fundamentally stupid decision”.
Double Oscar winner Alfonso Cuarón, whose film Roma is nominated for 10 Oscars this year including best cinematography, was one of the first to object.

SourceBBC NEWS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest News

Government to pay arrears owed NABCO trainees – Dr John Kumah

Story By: Henrietta Afful A Deputy Minister of Finance, Dr John Kumah has assured Nation Builders Corps, NABCO, trainees that...

Ex-Nigeria coach Rohr might be a surprise candidate for the Ghana job

By Benjamin Willie Graham Former Nigeria coach, Gernot Rohr could have thrown his hat into the race for the Ghana Black Stars coach position following...

Wearing ”G-Strings” could be problematic- Gynecologist

By Godfred Zina A Gynecologist, Dr. Kennedy Tettey Coffie Brightson, says women could get Virginal infections through the wearing of wrong underpants. According to him, wearing...

Analysts laud government’s move to cut budgetary expenditure by 20%

By Nathaniel Nartey As part of measures to ensure fiscal consolidation by the government, the expenditure budget of the various Ministries, Departments and Agencies, is...

Ghana FA License D Coaching Course Ends in the Volta Region

Tilda Acorlor The much anticipated Ghana Football Association (GFA) License D Coaching course scheduled for the Volta Region, successfully came to an end last Monday,...

More Articles Like This