By Nana Karikari, Senior Global Affairs Correspondent
A deadly outbreak of the rare Bundibugyo strain of the Ebola virus is gaining momentum across East Africa, prompting heightened international alarm and claiming the lives of three humanitarian workers.
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies announced Saturday that three of its volunteers died after contracting the virus during a mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. The announcement came as Uganda’s Ministry of Health confirmed three new infections, raising the total number of cases within its borders from two to five.
Humanitarian Cost
The deceased volunteers were identified as Alikana Udumusi Augustin, Sezabo Katanabo, and Ajiko Chandiru Viviane. They belonged to the Mongbwalu branch of the Congo Red Cross society in the Djugu territory of Ituri province, which serves as the epicenter of the current outbreak.
According to the organization, Viviane died on May 5, followed by Katanabo on May 15, and Augustin on May 16. Officials believe they contracted the virus on March 27 while carrying out body management activities during a mission unrelated to Ebola.
“At the time of the intervention, the community was not aware of the Ebola Virus Disease outbreak, and the outbreak had not yet been identified. They are among the first known victims of the outbreak,” the IFRC said Saturday.
The deaths highlight the extreme dangers faced by frontline personnel operating in regions where data is scarce and security is volatile.
“We extend our heartfelt condolences to their families, loved ones, fellow volunteers and colleagues,” the organization said. “These volunteers lost their lives while serving their communities with courage and humanity.”
Cross Border Transmission
The crisis is no longer contained within the borders of the DRC. The World Health Organization declared the situation a public health emergency of international concern on May 17, warning that the risk of a national epidemic in the DRC is “very high.”
The virus has successfully crossed into neighboring Uganda, where authorities are scrambling to contain the spread. On Sunday, Uganda’s Ministry of Health noted the spike to five cases.
The three new Ugandan cases illustrate the complex patterns of transmission. They include a Ugandan driver who transported the country’s first confirmed case and a Ugandan health worker exposed to the virus while taking care of the country’s first confirmed case. Health officials noted that both individuals were identified among known contacts and are receiving treatment.
The third new case involves a Congolese woman who entered Uganda with mild abdominal symptoms. She traveled from Arua, close to the border, to Entebbe before seeking care at a private hospital in the capital city of Kampala. The patient initially improved and returned to Congo, but later tested positive for Ebola after a follow-up prompted by a tip-off from a pilot involved in transporting her.
Ugandan authorities have stepped up contact tracing to contain the spread. The health ministry stated that all identified contacts linked to the confirmed cases are being closely monitored, urging the public to remain vigilant and report suspected symptoms.
Global Logistics and Roadblocks
The scale of the outbreak in the DRC remains severe. As of Thursday, the WHO recorded 746 suspected cases of the virus and 176 deaths among suspected cases in the country. There have been at least 88 confirmed cases globally, with 10 deaths among those cases, including the fatalities in Uganda.
Among the confirmed infections is an American surgeon who contracted the virus while working in Congo. He was evacuated to Germany earlier this week for medical treatment.
International health agencies are facing unprecedented hurdles in their containment strategies. The Bundibugyo strain causes hemorrhagic fever and currently has no approved vaccines or treatments. The WHO stated that late detection, the absence of a vaccine or virus-specific therapeutics, widespread armed violence, and high mobility among the population make Congo especially vulnerable.
WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus described the situation in Congo as “deeply worrisome” during a Friday briefing.
“These numbers are changing as surveillance efforts and laboratory testing is improving, but violence and insecurity are impeding the response,” Tedros said.
International Border Controls
A coalition of regional and international partners has deployed aid and personnel to the region. Responders include the WHO, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, Doctors Without Borders, and the U.S. State Department. The State Department announced it has mobilized $23 million in foreign assistance to combat the spread.
Fear of global transmission has triggered strict border enforcement policies. On May 18, the CDC issued an order barring entry to foreign nationals who visited Congo, Uganda, or South Sudan within 21 days of their arrival to the United States.
U.S. citizens and permanent residents who traveled to these countries within the 21-day window are permitted entry but face restrictions. They must arrive through either Washington-Dulles International Airport or Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport to undergo enhanced public health screening.
The CDC confirmed that, to date, there have been no suspected or confirmed cases of Ebola from the current outbreak reported in the United States.
Continental Vigilance and West African Readiness
The escalation in East Africa has triggered immediate alert systems across West African transport hubs, including Kotoka International Airport in Accra, Ghana. Public health authorities across the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) are monitoring the situation closely, drawing on infrastructural frameworks built during previous epidemics. Because the Bundibugyo strain lacks the specialized ring-vaccination protocols utilized in recent Zaire-strain outbreaks, continental health agencies are emphasizing strict border surveillance, community-led education, and immediate isolation capabilities. Health ministries across the continent are balancing the need for rigorous screening with the preservation of vital intra-African trade corridors.
Regional Outlook
The coming weeks will test the limits of East African cross-border health coordination and international containment protocols. While strict border screenings and millions in foreign aid aim to keep the virus from expanding globally, local containment hinges entirely on navigating the armed conflict in the DRC and executing aggressive contact tracing inside Uganda. Until field teams can safely access isolated communities to stabilize transmission lines, the region remains locked in a high-stakes race against an unmedicated pathogen.












