The President Akufo-Addo led government has completed 13 E-block senior high schools started by the Mahama administration.
A Deputy Minister of Education, Dr Yaw Osei Adutwum, said contrary to the perception that the day senior high schools started by the previous administration had been abandoned, 13 of such schools would come on stream when the academic year starts in September.
Speaking at the Daily Graphic Dialogue on Education in Accra Wednesday, Dr Adutwum said the double track system being introduced by the government to among things deal with congestions in schools was a temporary measure until the infrastructure situation could be dealt with.
“It’s an opportunity to grant access to so many students who would be home. It’s also to provide the opportunity for students who would never have made it to some of the top schools had it not been the double track system.”
“It gives more contact hours compared to the existing system,” Dr Adutwum said.
He said the double track system would put an end to the cutoff system that prevented even some qualified students from going to school.
He said the government was working on a GHc520million facility to complete all abandoned building projects on SHS campuses in the country.
Dr Adutwum said as the infrastructure situation improved, more schools would be taken out of the double track system.