Loading weather...
GHANA WEATHER

Eighteen transit trucks intercepted over tax irregularities as Ato Forson orders probe

Eighteen transit trucks intercepted over tax irregularities as Ato Forson orders probe
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
WhatsApp
Pinterest
Facebook
Twitter
WhatsApp

By Ashiadey Dotse

The Minister of Finance, Cassiel Ato Baah Forson, has ordered a full investigation after eighteen articulated trucks suspected to be involved in a transit diversion scheme were intercepted at the Akanu and Aflao border posts.

In a Facebook post on Friday, 20 February 2026, the minister indicated that the trucks were declared as goods in transit to Niger but were moving without the mandatory customs human escorts required under Ghana’s transit regulations.

He stated that the trucks had been cleared from the Akanu Border Post and were expected to pass through the Eastern Corridor and exit at Kulungugu on their way to Niger. They were declared under a specific bill of entry, with cargo said to contain 44,055 packages weighing about 879,860 kilograms.

The minister revealed that intelligence and field surveillance by the Ghana Revenue Authority through its Customs Division raised suspicions, leading to their interception on Wednesday night.

He said that, out of the eighteen trucks, twelve have so far been impounded. Eleven are currently being held at the Tema Transit Yard for detailed inspection and legal processing. One truck overturned while attempting to escape, spilling its cargo. The remaining six trucks are still being pursued by authorities.

He stated that the initial suspended duties and taxes were estimated at over GHS 2.6 million, adding that further checks after the interception uncovered serious discrepancies in the declared unit values, tariff classifications and weights of the goods. These irregularities significantly reduced the tax liability.

He also said that the revised suspended revenue exposure has now risen sharply to GHS 85.3 million.

Dr Forson said preliminary findings point to systemic control weaknesses and possible human involvement. He has directed the Ghana Revenue Authority to begin comprehensive investigations immediately.

He warned that any customs officer found guilty will face prompt disciplinary action in line with the law. Criminal investigations will also target importers and clearing agents if evidence supports prosecution.

“The full rigours of the law will be applied,” the minister stressed.

He further stated that the impounded goods will be auctioned strictly in accordance with the law.

In response to the incident, the finance minister announced immediate measures to prevent further abuse of the transit system. He said all land transit of cooking oil has been prohibited, and such goods must now pass only through Ghana’s seaports.

He also directed that all transactions originating from land collection points will face enhanced monitoring, tracking and strict compliance enforcement.

Dr Forson reaffirmed the government’s commitment to protecting local industries and safeguarding state revenue.

“We will not allow Ghana’s customs regime to be exploited to undermine domestic revenue mobilisation and national development. Every cedi matters,” he stated.

More Stories Here

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The Ghana Broadcasting Corporation is a giant electronic media (Radio and Television) organization tasked with a mission to lead the broadcasting industry through quality programming, which promotes the development and cultural aspirations of Ghana as well as undertaking viable commercial activities

Mission

To lead the broadcasting and communication industry through quality programming, which promotes the development and cultural aspirations of Ghana

Vision

To be the authentic and trusted voice of Ghana