The Upper East Regional Commander of the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS), Ms Heroine Boakye, has warned members of the public to be mindful of disasters when building their houses with heavy burglar proof and metals.
She explained that even though it was good to protect one’s house from being attacked by unscrupulous people including thieves and armed robbers, it was equally very prudent for Ghanaians to consider their lives in relation to emergencies like fire outbreak.
“Some of the houses are built and fixed with heavy burglar proof and metals in such a way that when there is any fire outbreak, it will be very difficult if not impossible, for one to escape. There is therefore the urgent need for all of us to take this lesson very serious and make amends to avoid any catastrophe,” Ms Boakye said.
The Regional Commander said this when the GNFS embarked upon an outreach programme to the Assemblies of God Redemption Church in Bolgatanga, to sensitize the congregation to desist from engaging in certain activities that had the tendency of causing fire outbreak.
Mr Musah Mohammed, the Assistant Divisional Officer One, who is the officer in charge of the Municipal Education Unit and Mr Michael Abugri, Sub Officer, sensitized the congregation to replace their gas cylinders or regulators anytime they detected faults with them.
“ It is advisable to place the gas cylinder 10 metres away from the burner, preferably outside the house and fence it for protection and you should always strike the matches or lighter before turning on the gas to light.”
The congregation was further educated on how to use the Fire Extinguishers and encouraged to procure them and to place them at vantage points in their houses where they could have easy access to them anytime it was needed.
Reverend Dr Lazarus Akabore, the Head Pastor of the Church, thanked the Regional Commander of the GNFS who is a member of the Church, and urged her to ensure that they extended the sensitization programmes to all churches and institutions in the Region.
He further entreated the congregation to put into practice the knowledge acquired from the sensitization programme to help curb fire outbreak in their homes and work places.