The Presidential Advisor on Health, Dr. Nsiah Asare, has refuted reports that three million Ghanaians will be infected by COVID-19 before the peak period of the disease.
According to him, the reports are not true.
Addressing the media in Accra, Dr. Asare said that analysis was based on a WHO hypothesis or prediction of the infection rate in Ghana if stringent preventive measures are not taken. He explained that the cases recorded so far in Ghana are far below the WHO’s estimation.
“Based on the data that we have, we’ve realised that our actual figures are far below what WHO has quoted and it’s because when we saw the WHO hypothesis, we were a bit scared, so we put lots of things in place, especially the preventive etiquette. So from seeing the data, it has shown clearly that in Ghana, we’ll not go in that direction, and luckily His Excellency the President has added more measures like wearing masks.”
Director General of the Ghana Health Service, Dr. Patrick Aboagye said out of the 1,154 COVID-19 cases recorded in Ghana as of Wednesday, April 22, only four are in critical or moderately severe condition and one is on a ventilator.
Touching on lifting of the partial lockdown, the Minister of Information, Kojo Oppong Nkrumah, stressed that government has not lost its guard on containing or stopping the spread of the disease by easing the lockdown.
Instead, it has enhanced the preventive protocols by insisting that all must wear the face mask as they go about their daily routines. Mr. Nkrumah hinted that the security agencies will soon be deployed to enforce the observance of all COVID-19 preventive protocols.
The Information Minister also explained that the COVID-19 Relief Fund is not being directly managed by the government but Trustees of the fund.