25.8 C
Accra
Thursday, August 11, 2022

WHO expects more Ebola cases in Congo, can't reach no-go areas

Must Read

IGP Dampare to speak on policing at KNUST lecture today

The Inspector-General of Police Dr. George Akuffo Dampare will today, August 11, deliver a lecture on policing at the...

Mahama consoles family of late AB Crenstil

Former President John Dramani Mahama has consoled the family of the late highlife legend, AB Crenstil. Speaking to the family...

Nairobi: Kenyan Updated Presidential Results

Latest results published by the Kenyan Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission show that as of 8am, the opposition leader,...

GENEVA – The World Health Organization (WHO) said on Friday that at least 1,500 people had been potentially exposed to the deadly Ebola virus in the Democratic Republic of Congo’s North Kivu region, where insecurity prevents aid workers from reaching some areas.

But it expected more people to become infected and could not be sure that it had identified all chains by which the virus is spreading in the eastern part of the country beset by militia violence.

More than 500 people including health workers have been vaccinated against the disease in Congo’s latest outbreak, marked by a total of 78 confirmed and probable cases, including 44 deaths, the WHO said. Some 1,500 people have been identified as contacts of people infected with the disease that causes fever, vomiting and diarrhoea.

“We don’t know if we are having all transmission chains identified. We expect to see more cases as a result of earlier infections and these infections developing into illness,” WHO spokesman Tarik Jasarevic told a Geneva news briefing.

“We still don’t have a full epidemiological picture… The worst case scenario is that we have these security blindspots where the epidemic could take hold that we don’t know about,” he said.

The outbreak has spread from its epicentre in North Kivu province to neighbouring Ituri province after an infected person returned home, Congo’s health ministry said this week, complicating containment in a region beset by widespread militia violence.

The WHO said it had deployed more than 100 experts including epidemiologists to the towns of Beni and Mangina, to oversee tracing, vaccination and safe burials.

But in line with U.N. security, there are so-called ‘red zones’ near the epicentre of Mangina which aid workers cannot enter, Jasarevic said.

“When decisions are being made, the priority is the security of all responding teams,” he added.

SourceReuters

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest News

IGP Dampare to speak on policing at KNUST lecture today

The Inspector-General of Police Dr. George Akuffo Dampare will today, August 11, deliver a lecture on policing at the...

Mahama consoles family of late AB Crenstil

Former President John Dramani Mahama has consoled the family of the late highlife legend, AB Crenstil. Speaking to the family during a visit to announce...

Nairobi: Kenyan Updated Presidential Results

Latest results published by the Kenyan Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission show that as of 8am, the opposition leader, Raila Odinga is leading the...

Resign your position on State Institutions to allow for investigation – Vitus Azeem to Labianca CEO

Anti-Corruption campaigner, Vitus Azeem says has called on the owner of Lablanca group of Companies and member of Council of State, Eunice Jacqueline Buah...

Special Prosecutor’s ‘corruption’ report on Labianca is ‘hollow’ – Commissioner of Customs

SOURCE: GRAPHICONLINE The Commissioner of the Customs Division of the Ghana Revenue Authority (GRA), Colonel Kwadwo Damoah, has accused the Office of the Special Prosecutor...

More Articles Like This