UK’s Daily Mail confirmed Sunday the account Markle’s close friends have shared with People magazine concerning the rift between Thomas Markle and his famous daughter, who officially became the Duchess of Sussex in May 2018.
Thomas told The Mail he originally planned to keep the letter “totally private out of respect for her” until her friends “launched their attack” on him last week.
“Daddy, it is with a heavy heart that I write this, not understanding why you have chosen to take this path, turning a blind eye to the pain you are causing,” the 37-year-old wrote in a handwritten letter that’s over five pages for the 74-year-old dated August 2018.
“Your actions have broken my heart into a million pieces — not simply because you have manufactured such unnecessary and unwarranted pain, but by making the choice to not tell the truth as you are puppeteered in this. Something I will never understand.”
“If you love me, as you tell the press you do, please stop,” wrote Markle. “Please allow us to live our lives in peace. Please stop lying, please stop creating so much pain, please stop exploiting my relationship with my husband. I realize you are so far down this rabbit hole that you feel (or may not feel) there’s no way out, but if you take a moment to pause I think you’ll see that being able to live with a clear conscience is more valuable than any payment in the world.”
In the emotional letter, Markle insisted she never heard from the former Hollywood lighting director, who famously didn’t attend the televised royal wedding. Markle also claimed she never received messages from Thomas from his reported heart attack, which he said occurred just before her nuptials.
“You’ve told the press that you called me to say you weren’t coming to the wedding — that didn’t happen because you never called,” wrote Markle. “I have only ever loved, protected, and defended you, offering whatever financial support I could, worrying about your health. So the week of the wedding to hear about you having a heart attack through a tabloid was horrifying. I called and texted… I begged you to accept help — we sent someone to your home… and instead of speaking to me to accept this or any help, you stopped answering your phone and chose to only speak to tabloids.”
In the letter, Markle also addressed Thomas’ relationship with her half-sister Samantha Markle.
“I pleaded with you to stop reading the tabloids,” wrote Markle. “On a daily basis, you fixated and clicked on the lies they were writing about me, especially those manufactured by your other daughter, who I barely know. You watched me silently suffer at the hands of your vicious lies, I crumbled inside.”
TMZ reported Friday a close friend of Thomas told the celebrity gossip site that all claims made by Markle’s friends to People magazine about his strained relationship with the American actress are “bulls—.”
According to the pal, Thomas texted Markle “a loving message on her wedding day,” and they spoke over the phone the day before the royal wedding. In that alleged phone call, Markle expressed concern over her father’s health issues and Harry, 34, wished him well.
However, after the couple tied the knot, they stopped communicating. Thomas has tried reaching out to Markle multiple times by text, the friend said, but hasn’t heard from her in months.