The raging disagreements within the leadership of the People’s National Convention appears to deepen on Tuesday, with confusing directives coming from the two main blocs emerging from the party.
Moments after a supposed National Executive Committee held an extraordinary meeting in the Ashanti regional capital, Kumasi to reinstate the suspended General Secretary, Janet Asana Nabla, the National Chairman, Moses Dani Baah counter-issued a statement insisting Janet’s suspension still holds.
While the Kumasi NEC meeting purported to oust Chairman Dani Baah and National Leader David Apasera from office, and rather swore in the Greater Accra regional chairman Bala Maikankan as its new National Chairman, the incumbent National Chairman says that can only amount to an illegality.
The following is the statement issued by the PNC National Chairman to confirm his stand.
MS JANET NABLA IS STILL INDEFINITELY SUSPENDED AS PNC GENERAL SECRETARY
The PNC wishes to state unequivocally that it’s former General Secretary, Ms Janet Asana Nabla is still under an indefinite suspension following the National Executive Committee Meeting of 28th August, 2021 held at the GNAT HALL in Accra.
The National Executive Committee of the Party is the second highest decision-making organ of the party after the National Congress. As such, it is only NEC or Congress that can vary any decision taken by NEC. And since the NEC meeting at which the former General Secretary was suspended, there has not been any meeting of NEC or Congress to review the decision.
It is therefore preposterous for any gathering of dissatisfied party executives to meet anywhere and take a rather void decision to indicate that the suspended General Secretary has been reinstated. National Executive Committee meetings are convened at the behest of the leader in consultation with the National Chairman and/or the General Secretary with one-third of all NEC members attending and chaired by the National Chairman or in his absence any of his vices and in their absence a Regional Chairman but with the written consent of the National Chairman.
As far as the PNC is concerned, there has not been any notice or invitation for a National Executive Committee Meeting sanctioned by the leader and the National Chairman or any organ or group within the party as stipulated by Article 45 (l)(a) of the Party Constitution. In this regard, the widely publicised meeting in Kumasi today cannot pass for a NEC meeting and therefore the accompanying communique should be treated with the contempt that it deserves.
Hon Moses Dani Baah is the legitimate serving National Chairman of the party and Mr Bala Maikankan will only be impersonating if he holds himself anywhere as the Acting National Chairman of the PNC. The party will sooner than later take disciplinary action against all those involved in this act of lawlessness that seeks to project the PNC in a bad light. Thank you
Hon Moses Dani Baah
The above statement was issued moments after the Kumasi meeting issued the following communique at the end of deliberations.
Below is copy of the communiqué from the Kumasi meeting
COMMUNIQUE AT THE END OF THE EXTRAORDINARY PNC NATIONAL EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE (NEC) MEETING HELD IN KUMASI, 7TH DAY OF SEPTEMBER, 2021
- Pursuant to Article 45(1a) of the PNC constitution, NEC met in Kumasi extraordinarily, to address recent disturbing occurrences in the party and to make a determination on a petition brought before NEC by the General Secretary; Janet Asana Nabla, the Ashanti Regional Youth Organizer; Muniru Mohammed and the Communication Director of North East; Mamuna Yidana.
- Present at the meeting were nine (9) regional chairmen and secretaries, some national officers as required by law. National Vice Chairman Henry Asante and Sam Adeifio (the Central Regional Secretary) were present virtually via Zoom.
- NEC judiciously deliberated on recent occurrences in the party and resolved as follows:
- That the NEC meeting of 28th August 2021 was not properly constituted pursuant to Article 45(3) and as such that meeting is null and void and its outcome must be treated with contempt.
- That NEC subjected the petition submitted by the three to very diligent scrutiny and upholds all the accusations as the truth. Consequently, Mr. David Apasera and Mr. Moses Danibaah are guilty of the accusations.
- That, they are removed from their respective offices pursuant to Article 49(a)(4) of PNC constitution for misconducting themselves as prescribed in the petition indefinitely.
- That in their absence, the Greater Accra Regional Chairman shall act as the National Chairman and Leader of the PNC.
- That the General Secretary is cleared to continue to conduct her function as Stated in the constitution.