The Defence Secretary and National Police Chief in Sri Lanka, are to be replaced following the Easter suicide bombings which killed more than 350 people.
The two high ranking officials of the government are to be removed due to their failure to act on warning signs of the suicide attack. This was after the President’s office announced his request for the resignation of the two. It is not clear who would replace them. The attack has been the deadliest attack in the island nation which also wounded at least 500 people.
Meanwhile, Sri Lanka’s State Minister of Defence Ruwan Wijewardene, says one of the nine bombers that detonated explosives on Easter Sunday was a woman. The comment comes after police confirmed that nine suicide bombers were involved in the blasts with eight identified. Mr Wijewardene, told Parliament that an initial investigation revealed the bombings on churches and hotels, which killed more than 350 people, had been carried out in revenge for deadly shootings in two New Zealand mosques on March 15.
But security experts and analysts, have questioned whether the coordinated bomb attacks could have been planned in such a short period.