The National Identification Authority, (NIA), in a statement has said a picture of a Ghana Card placed alongside a Togo National ID card, both bearing the personal details of one Wilfried Amenovideto is genuine.
The statement which was copied to gbcghanaonline.com said some of the commentaries on the said ID card images suggest that the individual is a Togolese national and therefore not eligible to be issued with a Ghana Card as a Ghanaian citizen.
But the statement which was signed and issued by Head of Corporate Affairs of NIA, Francis Palmdeti, has discredited the Social Media reports.
Below is the full statement :
NATIONAL IDENTIFICATION AUTHORITY
For immediate release
NIA REACTS TO PICTURE OF A GHANA CARD AND TOGO ID BELONGING TO WILFRIED AMENOVIDETO CIRCULATING ON SOCIAL MEDIA
The National Identification Authority (NIA) has seen on social media, a picture of a Ghana Card placed alongside a Togo National ID card, both bearing the personal details of one WILFRIED AMENOVIDETO.
Some of the commentaries on the said ID card images suggest that the individual is a Togolese national and therefore not eligible to be issued with a Ghana Card as a Ghanaian citizen.
The NIA wishes to put the following facts on record for the attention of the general public:
1. The Ghana Card bearing the name of Wilfried Amenovideto is genuine;
2. In support of his application for the Ghana Card, Mr. W. Amenovideto submitted a Birth Certificate issued by the Births and Deaths Registry on 26th January 2018 at Aflao, withthe nationality of both parents indicated on the said birth certificate as Ghanaian;
3. A person who is a citizen of Ghana and a citizen of another country is entitled to apply for, and be issued with, the Ghana Card;
4. A citizen of another country may subsequently become a Ghanaian citizen after going through the requisite process of Naturalisation or Registration as provided for by law.
5. There are many foreigners living in Ghana who, through the Ministry for the Interior, have obtained Ghanaian citizenship either through Registration or Naturalization; and
6. NIA is conducting an investigation to determine whether any person or persons have violated any applicable law in the issuance of a Ghana Card to the said Wilfried Amenovideto;
The NIA wishes to assure the general public that it takes very seriously, concerns or allegations of fraudulent acquisition of the Ghana Card meant for citizens by persons who are not Ghanaians.
Accordingly, the NIA is currently assisting the Ghana Police to investigate several such cases.
The prosecution of crime is not limited by time therefore any person found to have breached any relevant legal provision will be duly prosecuted.
SGND: ACI FRANCIS PALMDETI
HEAD, CORPORATE AFFAIRS, NIA
14th June 2019