The Ministry of Youth and Sports (MOYS) has announced that football fans will be allowed back in stadiums as part of the easing of covid-19 restrictions on games being played behind closed doors.
The Ministry of Youth and Sports (MOYS) in a press release issued today said seating at all stadiums will be limited to 25% capacity.
“Ghana has made significant progress in combating the disease of late. Government has therefore eased the restriction of playing behind closed doors,” the release said.
“Seating at all stadia will therefore be limited to Twenty-Five (25%) capacity as previously announced by the President. All existing safety and hygiene protocols are still in force. The Inter-Ministerial Taskforce will continue to monitor the evolving Covid-19 situation and will advise when more spectators will be allowed to all stadia in the country.
“The Ministry of Youth and Sports is grateful to all stakeholders, particularly the Ghana Football Association for their cooperation”.
Fans were barred from attending Ghana Premier League (GPL) games on November 13, 2020, with the 2020/2021 season set to commence.
That decision came a month after President Akufo-Addo in his 17th COVID-19 update on September 20 gave the green light for the resumption of football competitions after a six-month suspension following a ban on social gatherings due to the COVID-19 pandemic. At the time, the country had five hundred and seven (507) active cases.
Some fans have flouted the restrictions and attended Ghana Premier League games.