27 C
Accra
Saturday, August 8, 2020
No menu items!

Ronaldo available for Man Utd clash after one-match Champions League ban

Must Read

Beirut explosion: Angry protesters take to streets

Thousands of Lebanese, furious with their political leaders, are taking to the streets again, four days after a huge...

WAEC relocates Bright SHS Examination Centre to Ofori Panyin

The West African Examinations Council (WAEC) has in the interim and with effect from August 8, 2020, relocated the...

Conseslus Kipruto: Olympic champion tests positive for covid-19 and misses Monaco Diamond League

Olympic and world 3,000m steeplechase champion Conseslus Kipruto will miss the first Diamond League event of the season in...

UEFA have announced that Cristiano Ronaldo will serve a one-match ban after being shown a red card in Juventus’ Champions League clash with Valencia.

The five-time Ballon d’Or winner was controversially dismissed following a clash with Jeison Murillo at Mestalla, although Juve went on to triumph through penalties from Miralem Pjanic either side of half-time.

Ronaldo will sit out Juve’s match against Swiss champions Young Boys but the decision from UEFA’s Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body means the ex-United favourite will be able to make his latest return to Old Trafford on October 23.

United’s Champions League triumph in 2007-08 marked Ronaldo’s first success and he went on to win the title a further four times with Real Madrid.

He scored in both legs, including the decisive goal in Manchester, as Madrid beat United 3-2 on aggregate in the last 16 of the 2012-13 edition.

Since his €112 million (£99m/$130m) move from Madrid to Juve in July, the 33-year-old has scored three goals in seven appearances, netting twice against Sassuolo and once versus Frosinone.

Juve will face United at Old Trafford on October 23, before taking them on in Turin on November 7.
Following the red card, Leonardo Bonucci indicated that his team-mate was left “angry” at the decision, while Juve boss Massimiliano Allegri believes VAR would have saved the star.

Miralem Pjanic went one step further, despite scoring the two penalties that won Juve the game, and insisted that the red card was “absurd”.

“Football is a strange game. We could have been 4-0 up after the opening period, then came that absurd sending off,” Pjanic said, via the club’s website.

There was a possibility that it might have been extended to two games, meaning he would have had to sit out the Old Trafford clash.

Former Premier League referee Mark Clattenburg believes Ronaldo’s red card was harsh – he claims he would have shown both Murillo and the Portuguese a yellow, and awarded Valencia a free-kick – and thinks a one-match ban will suffice.

Writing in the Daily Mail, he said: “The contact looked very slight and I cannot see how the additional assistant, standing some 20 yards away, could deem it violent conduct.

“If I had been officiating this game, I would have given Valencia a free-kick and shown a yellow card to each player. Ronaldo will serve a one-match ban but anything more would be harsh.”

SourceGoal

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest News

Beirut explosion: Angry protesters take to streets

Thousands of Lebanese, furious with their political leaders, are taking to the streets again, four days after a huge...

WAEC relocates Bright SHS Examination Centre to Ofori Panyin

The West African Examinations Council (WAEC) has in the interim and with effect from August 8, 2020, relocated the examination centre of Bright Senior...

Conseslus Kipruto: Olympic champion tests positive for covid-19 and misses Monaco Diamond League

Olympic and world 3,000m steeplechase champion Conseslus Kipruto will miss the first Diamond League event of the season in Monaco after testing positive for...

Voter registration exercise peaceful and successful – EC

The Hohoe Municipality of the Volta Region at the end of the just ended Voter Registration exercise captured a total of 59,123 eligible voters. The...

Schools not reopening September — Education Ministry

The Ministry of Education says there are no immediate plans to reopen schools from next month for full academic activities. Consequently, it has called on...

More Articles Like This