30.2 C
Accra
Saturday, November 26, 2022

This is my moment- Richard Commey

Must Read

Assemblies of God leadership pay courtesy call on Asantehene

A 14-member delegation of the Executive Presbytery of Assemblies of God Ghana, led by the General Superintendent, Rev. Dr....

World Cup 2022: Let’s be happy about youthful Black Stars team- Sannie Daara

By:Joshua Nii Appiah, Doha Former Communications Director of the Ghana Football Association, Ibrahim Sannie Daara says Ghanaians should be happy...

Peace Council takes steps to promote tolerance through discourse

By Seraphine Nyuiemedi The Minister of National Security, Albert Kan-Dapaah has urged Ghanaians especially, the youth to do away with...

Ghana’s International Boxing Federation (IBF) lightweight title contender, Richard Oblitey Commey, has described Saturday’s world title bout with Isa Chaniev as a time to finally realise his ambition of becoming a world champion.

Commey (27-2, 24 KOs) says he is determined to become Ghana’s ninth world champion by taking control of the fight and beating his Russian opponent convincingly in order to avoid the slip that cost him the title almost three years ago in the USA.

The 31-year-old Commey will mount the ring at the Ford Centre in Frisco, Texas in a bid to win the vacant title on his second attempt at the belt after losing out to Robert Easter Jr in 2016.

In an interview with the Graphic Sports from his US base where he has been fine-tuning his preparations for the fight, Commey said he was confident he would achieve an emphatic victory against Chaniev following an intensive training regimen he had undergone in recent months under the guidance of his American trainer, Andre Rozier.

Three years after losing to Easter Jr, Commey has the finest chance of his career to realise his dream and says his being with Rozier has brought so much improvement to his preparation that he is in a better shape today than he was when he had his first crack at the world title against Easter Jnr on September 9, 2016 at the Santander Arena in Reading, Pennsylvania.

“This is my moment, this is my time to achieve my aim of becoming a world champion and I can’t miss it.

“I’ve had the best of preparations in the previous months and I’m ready to show my class against Chaniev,” he told the Graphic Sports last Saturday.

After dumping longtime trainer Carl Lokko for the experienced Rozier, Commey has gone undefeated with a sixth-round stoppage victory against Alejandro Luna in March last year in San Antonio, Texas, to earn a mandatory challenge to the IBF crown.

He later destroyed Yardley Cruz in two rounds during his last outing in the ring five months ago and the fight with Chaniev (13-1, 6 KOs) is his best moment to live his dreams as a world champion and be regarded as one of the best boxers in the history of Ghana boxing.

When asked about his chances against the Russian, Commey said he was sure of clinching the title but was in no mood to allow complacency to set into his final preparation and fight plan.

“I’m not here to underestimate anyone but I believe I will come out victorious on the night,” he noted.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest News

Assemblies of God leadership pay courtesy call on Asantehene

A 14-member delegation of the Executive Presbytery of Assemblies of God Ghana, led by the General Superintendent, Rev. Dr....

World Cup 2022: Let’s be happy about youthful Black Stars team- Sannie Daara

By:Joshua Nii Appiah, Doha Former Communications Director of the Ghana Football Association, Ibrahim Sannie Daara says Ghanaians should be happy about the youthful squad selected...

Peace Council takes steps to promote tolerance through discourse

By Seraphine Nyuiemedi The Minister of National Security, Albert Kan-Dapaah has urged Ghanaians especially, the youth to do away with political intolerance, impunity tribal prejudices,...

Freeze on employment, Finance Minister announces

By: Edzorna Francis Mensah The Minister of Finance has announced a freeze on Public Sector Employment beginning in 2023 as part of the policy measures...

2022 WORLD CUP: Senegal kicked out Host Nation Qatar

By: Michael Okuley, Doha The host nation for the 2022 FIFA World Cup, Qatar has been booted out of the competition following their 1-3 loss...

More Articles Like This