Saturday, June 25, 2022

Google staff walk out over women's treatment

Must Read

Albert Kwabena Dwumfour is new GJA President-Elect

By: Henrietta Afful Albert Kwabena Dwumfour has been elected President of the Ghana Journalists Association, GJA after the National and...

Younga 101 drops latest single, “No Sad Days”

Ghanaian Afro-Fusion artist has released his latest single, ‘No Sad Days’ (NSD). Younga 101 is a rapper, singer and songwriter....

We’ll block all unregistered SIM cards after 31st July – MTN warns as deadline looms

By: Nicholas Osei-Wusu As the 31st July 2022 deadline for the merger of people’s mobile phone SIM numbers and their...
Seli Baisie
Journalist/ Entertainment, Lifestyle blogger, Nature Lover.

Staff at Google offices around the world are staging an unprecedented series of walkouts in protest at the company’s treatment of women.
The employees are demanding several key changes in how sexual misconduct allegations are dealt with at the firm, including a call to end forced arbitration – a move which would make it possible for victims to sue.
Google chief executive Sundar Pichai has told staff he supports their right to take the action.
“I understand the anger and disappointment that many of you feel,” he said in an all-staff email.
“I feel it as well, and I am fully committed to making progress on an issue that has persisted for far too long in our society… and, yes, here at Google, too.”

Each walkout is due to take place at 1100 local time, and the first was at Google’s Singapore office

Anger at the firm has boiled over in the past week since it emerged one high profile executive received a $90m payout after he left the firm, despite what Google considered a “credible” allegation of sexual misconduct made against him.
Andy Rubin, known as the “creator” of the Android mobile operating system, denies the allegations.
On Tuesday, another executive, this time from the company’s X research lab, also resigned.
Richard DeVaul was said to have made unwanted advances towards a woman who was recently interviewed for a job in which she would have reported to Mr DeVaul.
Mr DeVaul has not commented since his resignation, but in the past called the incident an “error of judgement”.
At least 48 other employees have been sacked for sexual harassment without receiving a payout, Mr Pichai told staff. He admitted the New York Times’ report had been “difficult to read”.
Staff involved in Thursday’s walkout will leave a note on their desks telling colleagues: “I’m not at my desk because I’m walking out with other Googlers and contractors to protest sexual harassment, misconduct, lack of transparency, and a workplace culture that’s not working for everyone.”

SourceBBC NEWS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest News

Albert Kwabena Dwumfour is new GJA President-Elect

By: Henrietta Afful Albert Kwabena Dwumfour has been elected President of the Ghana Journalists Association, GJA after the National and...

Younga 101 drops latest single, “No Sad Days”

Ghanaian Afro-Fusion artist has released his latest single, ‘No Sad Days’ (NSD). Younga 101 is a rapper, singer and songwriter. He refers to his music...

We’ll block all unregistered SIM cards after 31st July – MTN warns as deadline looms

By: Nicholas Osei-Wusu As the 31st July 2022 deadline for the merger of people’s mobile phone SIM numbers and their Ghana Card fast approaches, one...

Nobody has to pay a penny to go to my school – Michael Blackson

By: Seli Baisie   American-Ghanaian-Liberian actor and comedian, Michael Blackson has revealed that the new school he has constructed at Nsaba near Swedru in the Central...

School Feeding vrs Cathedral: Government urged to set priorities right

By: Nana Ama Gyapong The Executive Director of the National Interest Movement, Susan Adu-Amankwa has asked government to prioritize what is important it, that is,...

More Articles Like This