30.2 C
Accra
Saturday, November 26, 2022

Harry and Meghan to end use of ‘SussexRoyal’ brand

Must Read

Assemblies of God leadership pay courtesy call on Asantehene

A 14-member delegation of the Executive Presbytery of Assemblies of God Ghana, led by the General Superintendent, Rev. Dr....

World Cup 2022: Let’s be happy about youthful Black Stars team- Sannie Daara

By:Joshua Nii Appiah, Doha Former Communications Director of the Ghana Football Association, Ibrahim Sannie Daara says Ghanaians should be happy...

Peace Council takes steps to promote tolerance through discourse

By Seraphine Nyuiemedi The Minister of National Security, Albert Kan-Dapaah has urged Ghanaians especially, the youth to do away with...

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are to stop using their “SussexRoyal” brand from spring 2020.

The couple had been in discussions with aides and senior royals about using the name following their decision this year to step back from royal duties.

But a spokesperson for the couple said it was agreed the word “royal” could not be used due to government rules.

Applications to trademark the SussexRoyal brand have also been withdrawn.

The couple’s popular Instagram account uses the name SussexRoyal, as does their website.

A spokesperson for the Sussexes said they were “focused” on plans to establish their new organisation in the spring.

But they had agreed not to name it the Sussex Royal Foundation.

‘Setback’

Royal author Robert Hardman told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme the decision on the brand name was a “setback” for the couple.

“They’ve spent a great deal of money registering the trademarks,” he said.

However, branding expert Rita Clifton told the programme the inability to use SussexRoyal would be an “inconvenience” rather than an insurmountable problem.

She said any brand “is not just a name and a logo but also what you do”.

‘Royal no more’

Analysis box by Jonny Dymond, royal correspondent

This was not what Harry and Meghan thought it would be.

Their bombshell statement in early January was full of talk about “a progressive new role” in the Royal Family, about “collaboration” with other members of the family, about “continuing to support Her Majesty the Queen”.

They thought a hybrid role, half-in, half-out, could be possible – some royal duties, some Commonwealth duties, on their terms, with private lives, attached.

Instead, there is now nothing royal about them other than their names, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, and their private connections with their relatives.

There will be no public royal role, no military commands, no royal tours and now not even use of the word “royal”.

The loss of “SussexRoyal” will be a blow. It is their public face, their brand, their hugely popular social media name.

But “royal” could not survive alongside a private existence.

The couple have had to bow to the logic of their desire for a new and independent life – they will be royal no more.

Presentational grey line

A spokeswoman for the Sussexes said: “While the duke and duchess are focused on plans to establish a new non-profit organisation, given the specific UK government rules surrounding use of the word royal, it has been therefore agreed that their non-profit organisation, when it is announced this spring, will not be named Sussex Royal Foundation.

“The Duke and Duchess of Sussex do not intend to use ‘SussexRoyal’ in any territory post-spring 2020.”

The spokeswoman said trademark applications that were filed as protective measures “acting on advice from and following the same model for the Royal Foundation” have been removed.

It was announced this week that the couple will formally step down as senior royals from 31 March.

They will no longer carry out duties on behalf of the Queen but arrangements will be reviewed after 12 months.

A spokesperson for the couple said they intended to split their time between the UK and North America, and would be in the UK “regularly”.

They will attend six events in the UK in February and March, including the Commonwealth Day Service on 9 March.

Archie and Prince Harry
The couple and their son Archie spent time in Canada over Christmas

Harry is also expected to attend the London Marathon in April in his capacity as patron, while the couple will also attend the Invictus Games in the Netherlands in May.

The couple have been in Canada with their son Archie for much of this year, after briefly returning to the UK in January following an extended six-week Christmas break on Vancouver Island.

Before announcing their plans to step back from royal duties in January, they had spoken about how they had struggled under the media spotlight.

SourceBBC NEWS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest News

Assemblies of God leadership pay courtesy call on Asantehene

A 14-member delegation of the Executive Presbytery of Assemblies of God Ghana, led by the General Superintendent, Rev. Dr....

World Cup 2022: Let’s be happy about youthful Black Stars team- Sannie Daara

By:Joshua Nii Appiah, Doha Former Communications Director of the Ghana Football Association, Ibrahim Sannie Daara says Ghanaians should be happy about the youthful squad selected...

Peace Council takes steps to promote tolerance through discourse

By Seraphine Nyuiemedi The Minister of National Security, Albert Kan-Dapaah has urged Ghanaians especially, the youth to do away with political intolerance, impunity tribal prejudices,...

Freeze on employment, Finance Minister announces

By: Edzorna Francis Mensah The Minister of Finance has announced a freeze on Public Sector Employment beginning in 2023 as part of the policy measures...

2022 WORLD CUP: Senegal kicked out Host Nation Qatar

By: Michael Okuley, Doha The host nation for the 2022 FIFA World Cup, Qatar has been booted out of the competition following their 1-3 loss...

More Articles Like This