26 C
Accra
Tuesday, November 24, 2020
No menu items!

Italy to reopen new Genoa bridge two years after fatal tragedy

Must Read

Nana Konadu has not withdrawn from presidential race – NDP

The National Democratic Party (NDP) says its Presidential Candidate for the 2020 election, Nana Konadu Agyemang Rawlings, has not...

Christian Council declares week-long fasting and prayer towards Election 2020

The Christian Council of Ghana has proposed and declared a week-long nondenominational fasting and prayer for peace for the...

John Kerry named as Biden’s ‘climate tsar’

Former US secretary of state John Kerry will act as "climate tsar" when US President-elect Joe Biden takes office. Mr...

Almost two years since Italy’s Genoa bridge collapsed, killing 43 people, a new structure opens in its place on Monday.

On August 14, 2018, the Morandi motorway bridge, named after the engineer who designed it, gave way during heavy rain, hurling dozens of cars and several trucks onto railway tracks below.

The replacement bridge, a high-tech structure with advanced safety mechanisms designed by famed Italian architect Renzo Piano, will be inaugurated on Monday by Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte.
Families of the victims have refused to take part and will meet in nine days’ time to mark the tragedy’s second anniversary.
“Tomorrow, I will be in Genoa for the inauguration of the new bridge,” Conte wrote on his Facebook account on Sunday.

“From a wound that is slow to heal to the symbol of a new Italy which is recovering.”

President Sergio Mattarella will be the first to officially cross the new bridge.

The new bridge will not be open to traffic until Tuesday or Wednesday.

The tragedy laid bare the country’s crumbling infrastructure and gave rise to a bitter legal battle, which is still ongoing.

The Morandi was hailed a marvel of engineering when it opened in 1967, but an investigation into the disaster found it was neglected.

Autostrade, which runs almost half of Italy’s motorway network, has been accused of failing to maintain it properly, with allegations of falsified safety reports and in-house pressure to slash maintenance costs.

Atlantia, the parent group of Autostrade, is controlled by the wealthy Benetton family, which finally bowed to pressure last month to relinquish control of its besmirched toll-road operator, which will be nationalised.

Autostrade is under investigation, along with several transport ministry officials, for culpable homicide.

Sourceeuronews

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest News

Nana Konadu has not withdrawn from presidential race – NDP

The National Democratic Party (NDP) says its Presidential Candidate for the 2020 election, Nana Konadu Agyemang Rawlings, has not...

Christian Council declares week-long fasting and prayer towards Election 2020

The Christian Council of Ghana has proposed and declared a week-long nondenominational fasting and prayer for peace for the nation before, during, and after...

John Kerry named as Biden’s ‘climate tsar’

Former US secretary of state John Kerry will act as "climate tsar" when US President-elect Joe Biden takes office. Mr Kerry was one of several...

One-On-One encounter with Hassan Ayariga, APC Presidential candidate

APC Presidential Candidate, Hassan Ayariga, takes turn on GBC/NCCE Presidential Encounters 2020. Watch here:

Power transmission losses within GRIDCo surges to 2,013 highs

An analysis of official data by the Institute for Energy Security shows that Power transmission losses within the Ghana Grid Company (GRIDCo) system keep...

More Articles Like This