30 C
Accra
Friday, December 4, 2020
No menu items!

Meghan and Kate suffer shocking abuse as Kensington Palace battles trolls

Must Read

EC turns down proposal for provision of face masks at polling stations

The Director of Elections of the National Democratic Congress (NDC), Elvis Afriyie Ankrah  says it is illegal for the EC...

V/R: John Mahama cautions people of Hohoe against vote buying

NDC Flagbearer John Mahama has asked residents of Fodome Ahor and its adjoining communities in the Hohoe constituency of...

4th December, 2020

The Daily Graphic shares its view on the spate of ballot papers which are rejected during elections. It attributes...

Kensington Palace staff are spending hours each week moderating sexist and racist comments directed at the Duchesses of Cambridge and Sussex, it has been revealed.
Officials claimed that a handful of people have made violent threats towards the two women, while others are targeting ‘rival’ fans for vicious personal abuse.
A source claimed that the palace has blocked certain words from their social media, however ‘some of it is quite serious’.
Speaking to Hello!, who launched the #HelloToKindness campaign in a bid to encourage positivity online, the source said: ‘The Palace has always monitored comments but it’s a hugely time consuming thing.
‘They can block certain words, but some of it is quite serious. Over the course of last year, with hundreds of thousands of comments, there were two or three that were violent threats.
 
‘You can delete and report and block people and the police have options around particular people. ‘It’s something you have to manage because there’s no other way to control it.’
Neither Kate nor Meghan have individual public social media accounts, with Meghan famously closing her Instagram, Twitter and Facebook accounts a year ago ahead of her marriage to Prince Harry.
Royal aides stress that the majority of comments are positive, however a source added: ‘A lot of hours are being spent reviewing old material and moderating comments under posts.’
The problem has become such an issue in recent months that the palace have turned to Instagram in a bid to learn all the tools they can to help them tackle the abusive comments.
The social networking company has a team dedicated to helping high profile Instagram followers cope with issues such as these, and particularly around the monitoring of unpleasant and abusive comments.
‘It follows a Kate vs Meghan narrative and some of the worst stuff is between Kate fans and Meghan fans,’ the source added.
‘Arguments about who looks more appropriate, for example, that turn into personal attacks on other users.
‘It’s creating a supercharged atmosphere and everyone can join in, but what are the consequences of this?’

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest News

EC turns down proposal for provision of face masks at polling stations

The Director of Elections of the National Democratic Congress (NDC), Elvis Afriyie Ankrah  says it is illegal for the EC...

V/R: John Mahama cautions people of Hohoe against vote buying

NDC Flagbearer John Mahama has asked residents of Fodome Ahor and its adjoining communities in the Hohoe constituency of the Volta Region not to...

4th December, 2020

The Daily Graphic shares its view on the spate of ballot papers which are rejected during elections. It attributes the act to illiteracy explaining...

NPP and NDC to reaffirm commitment to peaceful elections as they sign pact today

The presidential candidates of the New Patriotic Party (NPP), President Akufo-Addo and the National Democratic Congress (NDC), and former President John Dramani Mahama are...

Covid: Biden to ask Americans to wear masks for 100 days

US President-elect Joe Biden has said he will ask Americans to wear masks for his first 100 days in office to curtail the spread...

More Articles Like This