25.2 C
Accra
Thursday, July 29, 2021
No menu items!

June 3rd disaster: It’s 5 years. Never Again!

Must Read

Vice President says government is poised on building human capital to transform economy

Vice President Mahamudu Bawumia says the Free SHS policy is a strategic government vision focused on building human capital...

Tokyo Olympics: Simone Biles reacts to support for withdrawal from team and all-around finals

Four-time Olympic gold medallist Simone Biles has reacted to the widespread support she has received after withdrawing from Thursday's...

Older Kindles may lose internet connection, Amazon warns

Some older Kindle e-readers will soon no longer be able to connect to the internet to download new books,...

It has been five years after that black Wednesday in Ghana, as rainfall turned into a devastating fire and flood catastrophe at the Kwame Nkrumah Circle. About 154 people died and over 199 others suffered severe burns, resulting in permanent physical disabilities which have permanently undermined their suitability for the job market.

As the nation marks the fifth anniversary of the June 3, 2015 Flood and Fire Disaster at the Kwame Nkrumah Circle in Accra, we bring you sad memories of that devastating incident and how some victims have been coping since then.

What started the night before as a downpour in the Nation’s capital, Accra took a different dimension at one of the hot spots of the city, the Kwame Nkrumah Circle where the rains aggravated the plight of commuters and the stranded, worsened by an explosion at a nearby fuel station. There were screams of pain and sorrow as the Security and Rescue Services moved the charred bodies of victims of the flood and fire disaster from the site of the explosion. Those who survived the incident but suffered burns and other injuries share their stories.

Five houses including the Goil Filling Station suffered various degrees of damage as a result of the fire. The property is valued at over ¢1.6 million.

Every year after that horrific incident has seen events held to remember the day with governments making pledges to support victims. So far about 108 victims of the disaster are said to have been paid ¢10,000.00. However, some of the victims want more support as the disaster has left them with scars for life.

As the heavy rains sets in again this year, it is hoped that authorities have put in the necessary precautionary measures to prevent any such disaster in the country.

Listen to attached audio for detailed information.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest News

Vice President says government is poised on building human capital to transform economy

Vice President Mahamudu Bawumia says the Free SHS policy is a strategic government vision focused on building human capital...

Tokyo Olympics: Simone Biles reacts to support for withdrawal from team and all-around finals

Four-time Olympic gold medallist Simone Biles has reacted to the widespread support she has received after withdrawing from Thursday's all-around final. The American gymnast pulled...

Older Kindles may lose internet connection, Amazon warns

Some older Kindle e-readers will soon no longer be able to connect to the internet to download new books, Amazon has said. First- and second-generation...

UK journalist sued by Russian billionaire over Putin book

Chelsea Football Club owner, Roman Abramovich and other Russian billionaires have sued a British Journalist over a book about the rise of President Vladimir...

FULL TEXT: Finance Minister presents 2021 Mid Year Budget Review

The Minister of Finance, Ken Ofori Atta, Thursday 29th July, 2021 presented the 2021 Mid-year budget review to Parliament in accordance with Section 28...

More Articles Like This