26 C
Accra
Sunday, September 20, 2020
No menu items!

Coronavirus: Wuhan to shut public transport over outbreak

Must Read

Minority leader not happy with absence of biometric verification devices in ongoing voters exhibition exercise

The Minority leader and MP for Tamale South constituency, Haruna Iddrisu, has urged the Electoral Commission to try out...

Two dead as Cyclone lanos batters Greece

Two people have been confirmed dead and another is missing after a hurricane-like storm swept across Greece. Hundreds of people...

Ethiopia charges opposition figures with terrorism

Prominent opposition figures are among 24 people charged with terrorism in Ethiopia. The charges were laid in connection with a...

Wuhan, a Chinese city of eleven million people, is to temporarily shut public transport as it tries to halt the outbreak of a new strain of virus.

Those living in the city have been advised not to leave, in a week when millions of Chinese are travelling for the upcoming Lunar New Year holiday.

The respiratory illness has spread to other parts of China, with some cases in other countries including the US.

There are more than 500 confirmed cases and 17 people have died.

Known for now as 2019-nCoV, the virus is understood to be a new strain of coronavirus not previously identified in humans. The Sars (severe acute respiratory syndrome) virus that killed nearly 800 people globally in the early 2000s was also a coronavirus, as is the common cold.

All the fatalities so far have been in Hubei, the province around Wuhan. Meanwhile, after a day of discussions in Geneva, the World Health Organization’s (WHO) emergency committee has announced it will not yet declare a “global emergency” over the new virus.

The respiratory illness has spread to other parts of China, with some cases in other countries including the US.

There are more than 500 confirmed cases and 17 people have died.

Known for now as 2019-nCoV, the virus is understood to be a new strain of coronavirus not previously identified in humans. The Sars (severe acute respiratory syndrome) virus that killed nearly 800 people globally in the early 2000s was also a coronavirus, as is the common cold.

All the fatalities so far have been in Hubei, the province around Wuhan. Meanwhile, after a day of discussions in Geneva, the World Health Organization’s (WHO) emergency committee has announced it will not yet declare a “global emergency” over the new virus.

Those living in Wuhan had already been told to avoid crowds and minimise public gatherings.

State news agency Xinhua said tourist attractions and hotels in the city had been told to suspend large-scale activities while libraries, museums and theatres were cancelling exhibitions and performances.

A Lunar New Year prayer-giving ceremony at the city’s Guiyuan Temple, which attracted 700,000 people last year, has also been cancelled.

The hashtag “Wuhan is sealed off” was trending on Chinese social media website Weibo.

The WHO’s Dr Ghebreyesus described the latest measures as “very strong” and said they would “not only control the outbreak, they will minimise spread internationally”.

Chinese officials said the country was now at the “most critical stage” of prevention and control.

“Basically, do not go to Wuhan. And those in Wuhan please do not leave the city,” said National Health Commission vice-minister Li Bin in one of the first public briefings since the beginning of the outbreak.

SourceBBC NEWS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest News

Minority leader not happy with absence of biometric verification devices in ongoing voters exhibition exercise

The Minority leader and MP for Tamale South constituency, Haruna Iddrisu, has urged the Electoral Commission to try out...

Two dead as Cyclone lanos batters Greece

Two people have been confirmed dead and another is missing after a hurricane-like storm swept across Greece. Hundreds of people were trapped in flooded buildings...

Ethiopia charges opposition figures with terrorism

Prominent opposition figures are among 24 people charged with terrorism in Ethiopia. The charges were laid in connection with a wave of ethnic unrest which...

Upper East Region gets new traffic lighting system

The Upper East Region has been given new traffic lighting systems and with the old malfunctioning ones replaced. Drivers and motorists in the Bolgatanga Municipality,...

First Lady calls for peace between Chiefs and people of Weija and Gbawe

The First Lady, Mrs Rebecca Akufo-Addo has called for calm between the chiefs and people of Weija and Gbawe. The two towns which share boundaries...

More Articles Like This