Loading weather...
GHANA WEATHER

US deploys 100 soldiers to Nigeria as armed attacks surge

US deploys 100 soldiers to Nigeria as armed attacks surge
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
WhatsApp
Pinterest
Facebook
Twitter
WhatsApp

By Ashiadey Dotse

The United States has sent 100 military personnel to northern Nigeria to support local forces as attacks by armed groups continue to rise.

According to Nigeria’s Defence Headquarters spokesman, Samaila Uba, the US troops arrived in the northeastern town of Bauchi on Monday. He said the soldiers will provide technical support and share intelligence to help Nigerian forces fight terrorist groups.

The armed groups include Boko Haram and ISIL-linked factions such as Islamic State West Africa Province. The US also sent equipment to support the mission.

Uba explained that the American soldiers will not take part in direct combat. Instead, they will work under the full command of Nigerian authorities and offer technical expertise.

“The armed forces of Nigeria remain fully committed to defeating terrorist organisations that threaten the country’s security and the safety of its citizens,” Uba said in comments reported by Premium Times.

The deployment follows a series of deadly attacks. Last weekend, gunmen riding motorcycles attacked three villages in northern Nigeria, killing at least 46 people and abducting several others. The worst attack happened in Konkoso village in Niger State, where at least 38 people were killed.

Nigeria has been battling armed groups for many years. The conflict involves homegrown groups like Boko Haram and breakaway factions linked to Islamic State. Other armed “bandit” groups are also involved in kidnapping for ransom and illegal mining activities.

The situation has become more complex with fighters from the Sahel region joining the violence. One such group is Jama’at Nusrat al-Islam wal-Muslimin, which claimed its first attack in Nigeria last year.

The US move comes months after tensions between the two countries. US President Donald Trump had accused Nigeria of failing to stop killings of Christians and threatened possible military action. The Nigerian government rejected the claim, stating that victims of the violence include both Christians and Muslims.

According to United Nations data, several thousand people have been killed in Nigeria due to the ongoing conflict. While some Christians have been targeted, analysts say most victims are Muslims living in the northern part of the country.

Nigeria, with a population of about 240 million people, is divided almost equally between Christians, mainly in the south, and Muslims, mostly in the north.

The new US deployment is expected to strengthen intelligence cooperation as Nigeria continues its long fight against terrorism.

More Stories Here

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent News

The Ghana Broadcasting Corporation is a giant electronic media (Radio and Television) organization tasked with a mission to lead the broadcasting industry through quality programming, which promotes the development and cultural aspirations of Ghana as well as undertaking viable commercial activities

Mission

To lead the broadcasting and communication industry through quality programming, which promotes the development and cultural aspirations of Ghana

Vision

To be the authentic and trusted voice of Ghana