By Ashiadey Dotse
Nigeria’s Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has arrested former Minister of Power, Saleh Mamman, following his conviction for financial crimes linked to major hydropower projects in the country.
EFCC Chairman, Ola Olukoyede, announced at a press conference in Abuja on Tuesday that the former minister was arrested at about 3:30 a.m. in Kaduna State.
Mamman was last week sentenced in absentia to 75 years in prison by a Federal High Court in Abuja after he was found guilty on 12 counts of money laundering and fraud involving about ₦33.8 billion.
According to the EFCC, the money was diverted from funds earmarked for the Mambilla and Zungeru hydropower projects.
Mr Olukoyede said two other individuals who were allegedly harbouring the former minister were also arrested during the operation. He added that the house where Mamman was found is under investigation.
“This is a test of the commitment of the Federal Government of Nigeria to the fight against corruption,” Mr Olukoyede said.
He warned that anyone involved in the misuse of public funds would eventually face justice.
The EFCC boss explained that charges were first filed against Mamman in January 2025 and that the agency secured convictions on all 12 counts after more than a year of prosecution.
He said sentencing was delayed because the former minister failed to appear in court, leading to the judgment being delivered in his absence on May 13, 2026.
Mr Olukoyede disclosed that the anti-corruption agency immediately launched intelligence and surveillance operations to track down the former minister after the sentencing.
Director of Public Prosecutions, Rotimi Oyedepo, said the process of transferring Mamman to a correctional facility was underway.
He added that the court had directed all security agencies to ensure that the convicted former minister had nowhere to hide.
The EFCC also said investigations are continuing into individuals who may have assisted Mamman while he was on the run. Officials warned that anyone found guilty of harbouring a convicted person would face prosecution.
Mr Olukoyede further revealed that the commission had identified additional properties linked to the former minister and would expand investigations to recover more assets.
He said the agency would strengthen surveillance on high-profile suspects facing trial to prevent similar escape attempts in the future.






































































