Loading weather...

Gunmen abduct 39 students, 7 teachers in attacks on Nigeria schools

Gunmen abduct 39 students, 7 teachers in attacks on Nigeria schools
File Photo
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
WhatsApp
Pinterest
Facebook
Twitter
WhatsApp

By Nana Karikari, Senior Global Affairs Correspondent

A coordinated assault on multiple schools in southwestern Nigeria has left dozens of children captive and one educator dead. Armed men abducted 39 students and seven teachers during simultaneous raids in Oyo State last week. The incident underscores a perilous expansion of Nigeria’s kidnapping crisis into regions previously considered relatively secure.

The Coordinated Assault

The attacks occurred on Friday in the Ahoro Esinele community, located within the Oriire district of Oyo State. Armed men simultaneously raided the Baptist Nursery and Primary school in Yawota alongside two other schools in Esiele. The operation targeted a secondary school and two primary schools.

The gunmen seized children aged between two and 16 years old. Elisha Olukayode Ogundiya, chairman of the Christian Association of Nigeria in Oyo State, confirmed the scope of the abductions. He stated that 46 people, “mostly children aged between two and 16 years, were taken away following the attacks.”

Fatalities and Detentions

The crisis escalated further over the weekend. Oyo State Governor Oluseyi Abiodun Makinde announced that one abducted teacher was killed on Sunday, citing visual evidence of the execution.

“Governor Seyi Makinde said one abducted teacher was killed on Sunday, citing a video,” authorities confirmed.

Law enforcement operations have yielded initial arrests in the aftermath of the raids. State officials confirmed that six suspects have been detained locally. The independent network of the kidnappers appears to rely on regional collusion. Governor Makinde noted the arrests included “alleged informants and logistics suppliers to the kidnappers.”

Disrupted Rescue Operations

A joint rescue operation was launched immediately following the abductions. The task force comprised Nigerian soldiers, police officers, and local vigilantes. However, the rescue teams encountered sophisticated defensive measures deployed by the criminal network.

The attackers utilized landmines to hinder pursuit. A joint rescue operation by soldiers, police, and local vigilantes was disrupted after they “encountered improvised explosive

devices planted by the attackers, leaving several wounded,” Makinde added. The wounded operatives are currently receiving medical treatment.

Government Responses

The federal government has vowed to intervene directly to secure the release of the remaining 45 hostages. Police forces have deployed specialized tactical and intelligence teams to the Oriire district to track the perpetrators.

President Bola Tinubu issued a harsh rebuke of the attackers from the capital. President Bola Tinubu condemned the attack as “barbaric”, while promising that the federal government was working with the Oyo State to “rescue all the victims”. The presidency expressed confidence regarding the ongoing intelligence operations. “We expect a breakthrough soon,” he said in a statement released by his office.

Shifting Security Dynamics

Mass kidnappings by armed groups have become a major security challenge in Nigeria in recent years. Criminal gangs routinely exploit weak security and porous borders to target travellers, students, and rural communities for cash and in-kind payments.

While educational institutions are frequent targets for these syndicates, the geographical location of Friday’s raid marks a troubling shift. Such attacks are rare in the southwest of the country. The expansion of high-profile school raids into Oyo State signals that the geographical boundaries of Nigeria’s ransom industry are continuing to widen.

Continental Implications and Border Containment

The breach of security in southwestern Nigeria has triggered immediate regional fallout across West Africa. In response to the crisis, the Oyo State Universal Basic Education Board ordered the immediate shutdown of schools across four vulnerable local government areas to mitigate the risk of copycat incursions. To prevent the armed syndicates from escaping into neighboring countries, state authorities are prioritizing the integration of newly arrived surveillance aircraft to monitor the expansive forest corridors linking Oyo with Kwara State and the international border of the Republic of Benin. For neighboring economic hubs like Ghana, the incident intensifies ongoing discussions surrounding ECOWAS cross-border intelligence sharing and the collective defense frameworks required to prevent domestic ransom syndicates from morphing into a wider sub-regional threat.

Systemic Vulnerabilities and Policy Reform

The targeting of schools highlights a persistent vulnerability within Nigeria’s educational infrastructure, where remote campuses often lack adequate physical security. While federal and state authorities emphasize their tightening grip through recent arrests and tactical deployments, the sophisticated use of improvised explosives by these criminal networks underscores the complex security apparatus required to combat them. As rescue operations continue, the administration faces ongoing pressure to balance immediate tactical interventions with long-term systemic reforms to protect vulnerable communities across the federation.

Read More Here

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent News

The Ghana Broadcasting Corporation is a giant electronic media (Radio and Television) organization tasked with a mission to lead the broadcasting industry through quality programming, which promotes the development and cultural aspirations of Ghana as well as undertaking viable commercial activities

Mission

To lead the broadcasting and communication industry through quality programming, which promotes the development and cultural aspirations of Ghana

Vision

To be the authentic and trusted voice of Ghana