By Doreen Ampofo
Finally, the results about the performance of Ghanaian music on Spotify, a year since the app is available in Ghana, are out. Massive wins for Ghanaian music! Press release below with all the rankings. Asakaa, Ghanaian Afropop and Ghanaian gospel are shattering records overseas!
*Stats: Ghanaian music records big wins globally as Spotify marks 1-year presence in Ghana*
*[Accra, Ghana]* – And just like that, it’s been a full 365-day cycle since Spotify launched in 80+ new markets across the globe, including the star of Africa, Ghana.
Spotify’s presence in the country represents a larger – in fact, the largest – platform for Ghanaian music and content creators to export their vibrant local sounds globally. Below is a breakdown of how Ghanaians have listened for the past year:
– Since launch, there has been a 22.28% increase in new local songs added to the Spotify platform by creators in Ghana.
– Ghanaians have become more familiar with the intuitive platform – which offers options to discover new tracks via the “Go to radio song” feature, resulting in the fact that Ghana now ranks among the Top 10 new markets with the most user-generated playlists (597K).
– Although Ghanaians streamed American and British music the most, they also showed a lot of love for their own kind. Three local music genres, in particular, are the pride of the nation: Asakaa, Ghanaian Afropop, and Ghanaian gospel.
– Ghanaian music is popular with international audiences too. Indeed, over 46% of Asakaa music is streamed in the UK, US, and Germany while Afropop from Ghana is experiencing massive growth in the US, where this genre has found 21% of its audience.
– Ghanaian Afropop has also enjoyed a 160% growth in the United States since Spotify became accessible in Ghana.
– Meanwhile, Ghanaian Gospel has registered a 70% growth in the same time frame, with over half of the streams coming from outside of Ghana. Can we say that this is global exportation of local Ghanaian genres at its finest?
– In terms of top exported local songs, Amaarae’s SAD GIRLZ LUV MONEY Remix featuring Kali Uchis and Moliy tops the rankings of the most widely exported collaborations, with the song gathering the most plays in the USA, Mexico, Brazil, India, and the UK.
– For solo tracks, KiDi’s Touch It rules, with Spotify users in India, the USA, Netherlands, the UK and Mexico streaming the song the most.
In retrospect, Spotify’s one-year anniversary in Sub-Saharan Africa is a win for Ghana’s music industry. The stats from the full breakdown of the top lists below will amaze you.
*Top 10 most streamed artists in Ghana*
3. Kwesi Arthur
4. Burna Boy
8. Justin Bieber
9. King Promise
10. Fireboy DML
*Top 10 most streamed tracks in Ghana*
1. Fireboy DML – Peru
2. Buju, LADIPOE – Feeling
3. Joeboy – Sip (Alcohol)
4. King Promise – Slow Down
5. Joeboy, Kwesi Arthur – Door
6. Black Sherif – Second Sermon
7. Joeboy, Kwesi Arthur – Baajo
8. Lojay, Sarz – Monalisa
9. Omah Lay – Understand
10. DaVido, DarkoVibes – Je M’appelle
*Top 10 local songs streamed in Ghana*
1. King Promise – Slow Down
2. Joeboy, Kwesi Arthur – Door
3. Black Sherif – Second Sermon
4. Joeboy, Kwesi Arthur – Baajo
5. DaVido, DarkoVibes – Je M’appelle
6. Oxlade, Sarkodie – Non Living Thing
7. KiDi – Touch It
8. Black Sherif – First Sermon
9. DaVido, Stonebwoy – Activate
10. Gyakie, Omah Lay – Forever (Remix)
*Top 10 exported local artists*
2. King Promise
4. Kwesi Arthur
5. Shatta Wale
*Top 10 exported local songs*
1. Amaarae, Kali Uchis, Moliy – SAD GIRLZ LUV MONEY Remix
2. KiDi – Touch It
3. Beyoncé, Major Lazer, Shatta Wale – ALREADY
4. King Promise, Mr Eazi, emPawa Africa – Baby I’m Jealous
5. Amaarae, Moliy – SAD GIRLZ LUV MONEY
6. Gyakie, Omah Lay – Forever (Remix)
7. Kwesi Arthur, Stormzy, Yaw Tog – Sore Remix
8. Joeboy, Kwesi Arthur – Door
9. Joeboy, King Promise, R2Bees – Fine Wine
10. King Promise, Shatta Wale – Alright
*Top 5 emerging/breakout artists in Ghana*
2. Skyface SDW
4. Juma Mufasa
5. Baaba J
*Top 5 local genres*
1. Ghanaian Afropop
4. Ghanaian gospel
*Top 10 Spotify playlists in Ghana*
1. Hot Hits Ghana
2. African Heat
3. Today’s Top Hits
6. +233 Bars
7. Soft Pop Hits
8. Ghana Party
10. Afro Party Anthems
Spotify transformed music listening forever when it launched in 2008. Discover, manage and share over 82 million tracks, including more than 3.6 million podcast titles, for free, or upgrade to Spotify Premium to access exclusive features for music including improved sound quality and an on-demand, offline, and ad-free music listening experience. Today, Spotify is the world’s most popular audio streaming subscription service with 406m users, including 180m subscribers, across 184 markets.
Facebook: @SpotifyAfrica | Twitter: @spotify | Instagram: @spotifyafrica | #SpotifyAfrica
Download the Spotify app via the Android or iOS app store or by heading to www.spotify.com
Listening is everything – Spotify
Spotify is all the music you’ll ever need. Millions of songs and podcasts. No credit card needed.
– to embed Spotify into a website – right click on any playlist, go to ‘share’ and copy embed code.
Spotify in numbers: Over 381 million monthly active users / Over 172 million subscription users / Over 70m songs in the catalogue / Over 4 billion playlists available / Available across 184 markets.