File Photo: Ghana Prez Akufo-Addo has apologised for demolition - Nigerian Presidency

A statement from the Nigerian presidency says President Akufo-Addo has expressed “his sincere apology for the demolition of a building on the premises of Nigerian High Commission in Accra, Ghana”.

The statement signed by Mr Garba Shehi, the Senior Special Assistant to the President Muhammadu Buhari said the Ghanaian leader told President Buhari in a telephone conversation that he has directed a thorough investigation into the incident.

The statement further revealed that some suspects had been arrested, and will be arraigned before a court in connection with the demolition.

Ghana’s Minister of Foreign Affairs and Regional Integration, Ms Shirley Ayorkor on June 22 apologised to the Nigeria High Commission in Ghana following the demolition of the storey building.

She also assured that the ongoing investigation into the matter would be transparent.

“We will ensure that whatever the outcome is, we will not hide it from the people of Ghana or the people of Nigeria. It will be laid bare,” she said.

Ms Ayorkor Botchwey stressed that the incident was “not a government-sanctioned activity” adding that “our government respects the rule of law.”

On the links between the demolition and the Osu Stool, she said the matter would also be investigated.

Meanwhile, Nigeria’s largest opposition political party, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has charged President “to wake up to both his domestic and international responsibilities”.

The PDP in a statement said the demolition of a building within the premises of Nigeria’s High Commission by unknown persons in Accra, Ghana, “is a huge contempt which the (Muhammadu) Buhari presidency could have stopped through engagements at the highest level of diplomatic relations.”

Read the entire statement below;

Ghanaian President Tenders Apology for Demolition, Orders Investigation

President Nana Akufo-Addo of Ghana Tuesday spoke with President Muhammadu Buhari, expressing his sincere apology for demolition of a building on the premises of Nigerian High Commission in Accra, Ghana.

In a telephone call, the Ghanaian leader told President Buhari that he has directed full investigation into the incident.

Earlier in the day, it further emerged that some suspects had been arrested, and will be arraigned in court.

Garba Shehu
Senior Special Assistant to the President
(Media & Publicity)
June 23, 2020

RELATED ARTICLES:

Read Also: There should be no reprisal – Nigerian students in Ghana appeal to its High Commission over demolition of its structure

Read Also: Foreign Affairs Ministry condemns destruction of Nigerian High Commission building

Read Also: Ghana probes demolition at Nigeria High Commission

Read Also: Ghana apologises to Nigeria over demolition of structure in Accra

Leave a Reply