Experts in the aviation industry are calling for the construction of a new International Airport because the Kotoka International Airport has no space for further expansion due to encroachment.

Government says it has a vision to make Ghana an aviation hub, however some believe more needs to be done especially since the country does not even have a national carrier and has only one international Airport.

Speaking on GBC’s Current Affairs programme, ‘Talking Point’, which discussed Ghana’s Aviation Industry, a retired pilot, Wing Commander Patrick Sogbodjor said the runway at Kotoka International Airport cannot be expanded and asked government to consider expanding the Tamale Airport or build a new one at Prampram.

Technical Director at the Ministry of Aviation, William Orhin said final agreement between Ghana and Ethiopian Airlines for the establishment of Ghana’s airline will be signed next month.

He revealed that Ghana will only have 10 percent shares in the airline while the remaining 90 percent will be owned by the private sector.

For his part, the Director General of the Ghana Civil Aviation Authority, Simon Allotey said there are plans to transform Tamale into a second International Airport.

Leave a Reply