The United States Embassy has cautioned Ghanaian travellers planning to attend the 2026 FIFA World Cup against overstaying their visas.
It warned that violations of U.S. immigration laws could result in serious consequences, including future travel ineligibility.
The Charge d’Affaires, Mr Rolf Olson, gave the warning at a media engagement on Friday in Accra to clarify visa procedures and appointment availability ahead of the tournament.
The engagement forms part of ongoing collaboration with the Government of Ghana to ensure smooth participation in the 2026 tournament by the national team, officials and supporters.
The 2026 World Cup, to be co-hosted by the United States, Canada and Mexico, will be the largest in history, featuring 48 teams and 104 matches.
With Ghana among the qualified nations, thousands of supporters are expected to travel to cheer on the Black Stars.
While announcing expanded visa appointment capacity, Mr Olson emphasised that compliance with U.S. immigration regulations remained mandatory for all visitors.
He explained that a U.S. visa allowed a traveller to board a flight and request entry into the country, but it did not automatically determine the length of stay.
Mr Olson noted that it was the Customs and Border Protection officer at the port of entry who decided how long a visitor may remain in the United States.
“For a B visa, the standard generally is six months, but it is not automatic,” he said, adding that the officer may grant a shorter period depending on the circumstances .
He stressed that travellers must depart the United States before the authorised stay expired.
“People who have exceeded the terms of their visa are breaking the law, and we will take that very seriously,” Mr Olson noted.
He indicated that overstaying a visa could negatively affect future applications, as U.S. immigration law treated such violations with gravity.
Most B visas issued to Ghanaian travellers were valid for multiple entries over five years, although consular officers retained the discretion to limit validity where necessary .
Mr Olson explained that the multiple-entry feature provided ample opportunity for repeat travel, making it unnecessary for visitors to attempt to prolong their stay unlawfully.
“Six months is a long time,” he said, adding that it was sufficient to attend World Cup matches, visit friends and relatives, or undertake tourism activities before returning home .
The Charge d’Affaires also addressed concerns about law enforcement actions in the United States, stating that lawful visitors who carried valid passports and visas and complied with immigration rules should not encounter difficulties.
“If you are entering the country on a valid passport with a valid U.S. visa, you should have that with you at all times,” he advised, encouraging travellers to observe U.S. laws and regulations .
The caution on overstays comes at a time when the Embassy has significantly increased visa appointment availability.
Mr Olson disclosed that since mid-January, additional consular officers had been deployed to Accra, enabling the Embassy to add hundreds of interview slots daily and tens of thousands of B visa appointments in the months leading up to the World Cup .
As of February 20, numerous appointment slots remain available, a marked improvement from previous years when non-immigrant visa wait times stretched to more than a year .
He urged intending travellers not to delay their applications.
“There’s no reason to wait to apply for a B visa,” he said, noting that appointment capacity, though expanded, was not unlimited .
Mr Olson clarified that there are no special visa categories or relaxed rules for World Cup travellers. All applicants must meet standard eligibility requirements under U.S. immigration law .
He noted that applicants did not need to possess a World Cup ticket before applying for a visa, and holding a ticket does not influence the decision of a consular officer .
On fraud prevention, the Charge d’Affaires cautioned against engaging the services of so-called visa fixers, stating that no individual or agency could guarantee visa approval.
“You do not need to pay anyone to secure a visa,” he emphasised, adding that the only required payment was the official application fee .
He advised prospective travellers to check their passport validity before applying, noting that U.S. regulations required at least six months’ validity at the time of entry.
Those planning World Cup travel this year should ensure their passports remain valid through at least early 2027, he added.
Source: GNA









