29.2 C
Accra
Tuesday, June 15, 2021
No menu items!

Donald Trump hails Buhari for Twitter ban

Must Read

Kotoko sink Inter Allies in five-goal thriller

Kumasi Asante Kotoko recorded their sixth away win of the season as they beat Inter Allies 3-2 in an...

#Fixthecountry: We’re sorry – Convenors apologise to Court

Lawyers for Conveners of the HASHTAG Fix the Country Protesters have apologised to the Criminal Division of the Accra...

Ghana welcomes election onto UN Security Council

Government has described as welcoming news of Ghana’s election onto the UN Security Council. This election has put Ghana on...

Former US president Donald Trump has praised Nigeria’s government for banning Twitter after it deleted President Muhammadu Buhari’s post for breaching its rules.

“Who are they to dictate good and evil, if they themselves are evil?” Mr. Trump said in a statement urging other countries to ban Twitter and Facebook for not allowing “free and open speech”.

Mr. Trump was banned from both platforms after the US Capitol riot in January for the reasons that his posts before and after the raid were alleged to have encouraged violence.

While Twitter made its ban permanent, Facebook announced last week that its suspension, including that of the former president’s Instagram account, would last at least two years.

“Congratulations to the country of Nigeria, who just banned Twitter because they banned their president,” he said in a statement released on Tuesday.

The former President suggested he should have banned Facebook while he was in office, but said the company’s boss Mark Zuckerberg “kept calling me and coming to the White House for dinner telling me how great I was”.

Mr. Trump also backed unnamed rival social media platforms, saying they “will emerge and take hold”.

The 45th US president has struggled for attention since his access to Twitter and Facebook was blocked. A website he launched last month to get his word out was closed because of poor traffic.

The authorities in Nigeria accused the platform of threatening the country’s “corporate existence” by allowing “misinformation and fake news to spread.”

The ban followed the removal of President Buhari’s tweet, which referred to Nigeria’s civil war four decades ago, and included a veiled threat towards those backing a secessionist movement in the south-east of the country.

The Nigerian government said on Saturday that the tweet’s removal was “disappointing”, but was not the only reason for Twitter’s “temporary” suspension.
Information Minister Lai Mohammed told the BBC Focus on Africa programme that the platform was being used by Nnamdi Kanu, the leader of separatist group Ipob, to direct attacks against the government in the south-east region.

“This is done consistently and willfully without consequences,” he said.

The professional body of Nigerian mobile phone operators – known as Alton – said its members had been told to block access to Twitter.

The authorities have since said they will prosecute anyone found to have breached the ban, however they have not yet announced any arrests.

A group of human rights organisations says it has filed a case with a West African regional court against the Twitter ban, saying it contravenes the right to the freedom of expression.

It has also been condemned by some Western countries and the body representing Nigeria’s lawyers.

Many Nigerians, including prominent politicians, news websites and churches, are continuing to tweet using Virtual Private Networks (VPNs).

Twitter said the ban was “deeply concerning”. Meanwhile, Nigeria’s national broadcasting regulator, NBC, announced that it would begin “licensing all internet streaming services and social media operations in Nigeria”, a government statement said.

SourceBBC

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest News

Kotoko sink Inter Allies in five-goal thriller

Kumasi Asante Kotoko recorded their sixth away win of the season as they beat Inter Allies 3-2 in an...

#Fixthecountry: We’re sorry – Convenors apologise to Court

Lawyers for Conveners of the HASHTAG Fix the Country Protesters have apologised to the Criminal Division of the Accra High Court for their inability...

Ghana welcomes election onto UN Security Council

Government has described as welcoming news of Ghana’s election onto the UN Security Council. This election has put Ghana on a high pedestal where it...

Security Analyst describes Ghana’s security situation as deteriorating

Security Analyst, Adib Saani, has expressed worry over the growing insecurity in the country, describing it as fast deteriorating. His comments followed a couple of...

Universities’ senior staff resume work after suspension of strike

Members of the KNUST chapter of the Senior Staff Association have resumed work, following the suspension of their industrial action across the country. Departments and...

More Articles Like This