26.2 C
Accra
Monday, August 8, 2022

Garlic festival shooting: Three dead in California

Must Read

Ghana needs versatile strong, resolute, objective Journalists – Godwin Avenorgbo

 By: Edzorna Francis Mensah A renowned broadcaster and Director of Communications at the Melcom Group of Companies, Godwin Avenorgbo says...

Babies who are exclusively breastfed are ‘so intelligent’ – Senior Midwife

By: Konadu Benedicta  A Senior Midwifery Officer at the Tema Health Centre, Ruby Naa Ago Larbi Mensah Ansah-Tagoe says research...

Sawua: 250-bed Ashanti Regional Hospital to be inaugurated in September

By: Razak Baba  The Ashanti Regional Hospital located at Sawua in the Bosomtwe District is expected to be inaugurated in...

Three people have been killed and 15 injured after a gunman attacked a food festival in California.

The gunman was shot dead by police shortly after he began firing, although police are investigating reports that a second suspect may still be at large.

The Gilroy Garlic Festival was about to end for the weekend on Sunday evening, when shots were fired at the site.

There was “a white man in his early to mid-30s firing a rifle,” eyewitness Julissa Contreras told NBC.

It was the 246th mass shooting in the US this year, according to US tracking website Gun Violence Archive.

The suspect entered the festival after cutting through a perimeter fence, Gilroy Chief of Police Scot Smithee told reporters.

He said witnesses reported that a second suspect may have been involved, possibly in a support role.

Officers were already at the site and responded to the shooting in less than a minute, Chief Smithee added.

“We couldn’t feel worse,” Brian Bowe, the festival’s executive director, said at a news conference on Sunday. “It’s just a horrible thing to experience.”

“This is nothing short of horrific,” tweeted California Governor Gavin Newsom.

US President Donald Trump also tweeted about the shooting, urging people to “be careful and safe”.

Some people are being treated for critical injuries, a spokeswoman for the Santa Clara Valley Public Health System said.

The Santa Clara County Medical Center has so far admitted five victims, CBS reports.

Two patients are being treated at a medical centre at Stanford University, according to CNN.

SourceBBC

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest News

Ghana needs versatile strong, resolute, objective Journalists – Godwin Avenorgbo

 By: Edzorna Francis Mensah A renowned broadcaster and Director of Communications at the Melcom Group of Companies, Godwin Avenorgbo says...

Babies who are exclusively breastfed are ‘so intelligent’ – Senior Midwife

By: Konadu Benedicta  A Senior Midwifery Officer at the Tema Health Centre, Ruby Naa Ago Larbi Mensah Ansah-Tagoe says research has shown that babies who...

Sawua: 250-bed Ashanti Regional Hospital to be inaugurated in September

By: Razak Baba  The Ashanti Regional Hospital located at Sawua in the Bosomtwe District is expected to be inaugurated in September. Health Minister, Mr. Kwaku Agyeman-Manu...

Make fight against corruption personal – GACC

The Executive Secretary of the Ghana Anti-Corruption Coalition (GACC), Mrs. Beauty Emefa Narteh, has called on citizens and activists to consider the fight against...

Your footprints will remain indelible in North East – Nayiri to President Akufo-Addo

“You have done tremendously well. You have done what most Governments have not been able to do for the people of Mamprugu, and for...

More Articles Like This