Loading weather...

India-Africa summit postponed over Ebola outbreak as rare strain spreads in DR Congo, Uganda

India-Africa summit postponed over Ebola outbreak as rare strain spreads in DR Congo, Uganda
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
WhatsApp
Pinterest
Facebook
Twitter
WhatsApp

By Nana Karikari, Senior Global Affairs Correspondent

India and the African Union have officially postponed the Fourth India-Africa Forum Summit. The high-level gathering was scheduled to take place from May 28 to 31 in New Delhi. The delay follows a severe, evolving Ebola outbreak on the continent. Following urgent bilateral consultations, India’s Ministry of External Affairs cited the emerging public health crisis as the core reason for the postponement. Officials issued a joint statement noting that the decision ensures the full, safe participation of African leaders and stakeholders. Meanwhile, the rapid spread of the virus has prompted enhanced border screenings globally. Emphasizing the need for caution, New Delhi reaffirmed its solidarity with the continent. Indian officials added that the country stands ready to contribute to containment efforts led by the Africa CDC.

A Rare Strain Expands Behind Rebel Lines

The diplomatic delay mirrors a major escalation on the ground. The first Ebola case has been confirmed in the South Kivu province of the Democratic Republic of the Congo. This specific area fell into the hands of Rwanda-backed M23 rebels in February 2025. An M23 spokesman confirmed the virus has reached a rural area near the provincial capital of Bukavu. The group reported that the case involved a “person coming from Kisangani,” a major city in Tshopo province where no previous cases had been detected. According to the spokesman, “the person concerned, a compatriot aged 28, unfortunately succumbed to the disease before the diagnosis was confirmed.” Congolese government authorities have not yet commented on this specific case.

Health experts believe the virus circulated silently for about two months in Ituri province, several hundred kilometers north, before being detected last week. The situation is uniquely dangerous because health workers are dealing with the rare Bundibugyo strain. There is no available vaccine or medicine for this variant. It spread undetected for weeks because authorities initially tested for a more common Ebola strain, which yielded negative results. The pathogen strikes with sudden, severe force. Local mother Botwine Swanze, who lost her son to the virus, described a rapid deterioration where early symptoms were easily mistaken for common illnesses like malaria. “He told me his heart was hurting,” Swanze said. “Then he started crying because of the pain. Then he started bleeding and vomiting a lot.”

The official toll stands at 139 suspected deaths and roughly 600 suspected cases. However, the World Health Organization notes that the actual scale is likely much larger, and the initial “patient zero” has not been found. The London-based MRC Centre for Global Infectious Disease Analysis estimates that the true magnitude remains uncertain but cases could already exceed 1,000. WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus expressed profound alarm, stating he was “deeply concerned about the scale and speed of the epidemic.” The virus has already killed more than 15,000 people across Africa over the past half-century, intensifying fears over this seventeenth outbreak in the country.

Healthcare Systems Overwhelmed by Attrition

In the flashpoint town of Bunia, the humanitarian pressure is mounting. The United Nations reports that Ituri province hosts over 920,000 internally displaced people. Although nearly 20 tons of aid has been airlifted to Bunia, local hospitals are completely unprepared. At Bambu General Hospital, suspected Ebola patients are sharing open wards with individuals suffering from standard injuries and illnesses due to a complete lack of isolation space. Despite the threat, local schools and churches remain open in Bunia, while protective face masks have become increasingly scarce. “It’s truly sad and painful because we’ve already been through a security crisis, and now Ebola is here too,” said local resident Justin Ndasi.

Local aid workers warn that the window to contain the pathogen is closing. “The situation is worrying because this is gaining momentum,” said Hama Amado, the Bunia field coordinator for the aid group Alima. He stated that the virus is spreading across multiple sectors, adding, “we are still far from saying that the situation is under control.”

A Doctors Without Borders team identified several suspected cases at Bunia’s Salama hospital but could find no open facilities for quarantine. Trish Newport, an emergency program manager for the organization, detailed the gridlock on social media, writing, “Every health facility they called said, ‘We’re full of suspect cases. We don’t have any space.’ This gives you a vision of how crazy it is right now.”

Conditions are similarly dire at Mongbwalu General Hospital, where a medical technology student died on Wednesday. Dr. Richard Lokudu, the hospital’s medical director, described the chaotic triage environment to reporters, stating, “The patients are scattered here and there in rather unusual conditions. We hope for the proper triage and isolation facilities to be installed today, and if that doesn’t happen, we will be completely

overwhelmed.” The facility remains severely understaffed and lacks adequate training for managing suspected hemorrhagic fevers. Dr. Didier Pay confirmed the facility is currently treating around 30 Ebola patients under these volatile conditions. Containment is further complicated by daily life in nearby mining hubs. In Mongbwalu, gold mining continues uninterrupted and the nearby border with Uganda remains open. Civil society leader Chérubin Kuku Ndilawa noted that while there is no widespread panic and people continue their normal routines, the town faces a critical lack of public handwashing stations.

Conflict and Funding Cuts Hamper Containment

The medical response is severely restricted by a volatile mix of ongoing warfare and dwindling international resources. Eastern Congo remains a combat zone. Militants linked to the Islamic State group, specifically the Allied Democratic Forces, killed at least 17 people on Tuesday in the village of Alima. Another active militia, CODECO, continues to destabilize the region. Simultaneously, the M23 rebel group now faces the burden of managing a highly infectious disease in densely populated urban centers. The rebel group has never had to coordinate an epidemic response of this magnitude. The group stated earlier this week that it is committed to collaborating with international partners to contain the spread, though cross-border and intra-provincial movement continues to complicate tracking efforts.

Compounding the security crisis is a severe shortage of frontline funds. Aid organizations attribute the lack of basic protective gear to sudden budget cuts by major Western donors, particularly the United States. Dr. Lievin Bangali, Senior Health Coordinator for the International Rescue Committee in the DRC, highlighted the systemic vulnerability caused by these withdrawals. “Communities in eastern DRC are already facing immense pressure from conflict, displacement, and a collapsing health system,” Bangali said. “Years of underfunding, compounded by recent cuts to front line health and outbreak preparedness programming, have weakened the ability to detect and respond to outbreaks quickly.” The International Rescue Committee reported it was forced to shut down its virus surveillance programs in three out of five zones in Ituri over the past year due to a lack of money.

Regional Containment and Global Screening

Neighboring countries are rapidly adjusting their borders to prevent regional spillover. In Uganda, health officials confirmed one Ebola case who crossed the border from the DRC and subsequently died. The body was returned to the DRC for burial on the same day. A second suspected case coming from Ituri tested negative. In response, Ugandan government spokesman Alan Kasujja announced that Kampala has suspended all flights to the DRC within a 48-hour window, confirming via his X account that there are currently no active cases inside Uganda.

In the United States, federal agencies have tightened border controls to isolate the threat. The State Department mandated that any American citizens traveling from the DRC, Uganda, or South Sudan within the last 21 days must route their return through Washington Dulles International Airport for enhanced medical screening. The mandatory protocols are being managed jointly by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Customs and Border Protection.

The strict nature of these protocols was demonstrated on Wednesday when an Air France flight from Paris to Detroit was abruptly ordered to divert to Montreal after border agents discovered a passenger from the DRC had boarded the aircraft in error. US Secretary of State Marco Rubio defended the aggressive interception as a necessary measure of national defense. “We had a flight last night headed to Detroit that was diverted because we have to protect the American people. So, objective number one is to make sure that Ebola never reaches the United States. Objective number two is do what we can to help the people of DRC and neighbouring countries so it doesn’t spread.”

Continental Mobilization and Health Sovereignty

The response within Africa has rapidly transitioned toward unified regional coordination. Africa CDC Director General Dr. Jean Kaseya exercised the agency’s continental mandate to declare the outbreak a Public Health Emergency of Continental Security. The activation of an emergency Incident Management Support Team has united health ministers across East, West, and Southern Africa to bolster surveillance at major transportation hubs. Regional networks from Accra to Nairobi are closely monitoring borders. Public health experts note that West African nations like Ghana are remaining highly vigilant, drawing heavily on the infrastructural lessons learned during the historic 2014 outbreak.

The crisis has simultaneously reignited regional frustration over structural inequalities in global medical innovation. Continental leadership issued a sharp critique of the sudden Western entry restrictions, warning that broad travel bans create severe economic damage while driving movement toward unmonitored border crossings. Furthermore, Africa CDC officials highlighted that the Bundibugyo strain was identified nearly two decades ago, yet no licensed vaccines exist for it today. African medical authorities are calling for an immediate end to external isolation, urging international allies to invest in local health security rather than implementing counterproductive border closures.

A Divided Global Strategy

The intersecting crises highlight a growing friction between international containment strategies and localized humanitarian realities. While global authorities implement stringent aviation blocks and airport screenings to insulate foreign borders, frontline medical workers remain caught between active insurgencies and diminished funding. The suspension of high-level diplomatic events like the New Delhi summit signals an acknowledgment of the threat, yet the containment of the Bundibugyo strain ultimately depends on stabilizing the under-resourced isolation wards in the conflict zones of eastern Congo.

Read More Here

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent News

The Ghana Broadcasting Corporation is a giant electronic media (Radio and Television) organization tasked with a mission to lead the broadcasting industry through quality programming, which promotes the development and cultural aspirations of Ghana as well as undertaking viable commercial activities

Mission

To lead the broadcasting and communication industry through quality programming, which promotes the development and cultural aspirations of Ghana

Vision

To be the authentic and trusted voice of Ghana