An external hard drive is an unconnected device that is plugged into a desktop computer or laptop with a USB cable.
External hard drives provide additional space for file storage and can even be used as backup drives for a computer.
Because external hard drives are always separate from computers and are not protected from damage, preventive care is needed to keep it in good working condition.
Below are some 5 ways to care for External Hard drives;
- Never put your HDD or any other storage on any magnetic material eg. Speaker
- After you have ejected the HDD on the PC, wait for about 30secs for the platter to stop spinning before getting the cable out from the port.
- Check for disk Fragmentation and Cache.
- Any HDD above 120GB should have the NTFS format system.
- Avoid fall, hit, virus, water and excessive heat.