24.2 C
Accra
Monday, October 3, 2022

Work resumes on Havedzi-Anlo Afiadenyigba road after seven years

Must Read

Otumfuo calls for urgent steps to tackle alarming rate of deforestation

SOURCE: GNA Otumfuo Osei Tutu II, the Asantehene, has called for urgent steps to curb the alarming rate of deforestation...

Tragic: 174 people killed in Indonesian stadium stampede and riot

SOURCE: GNA - At least 174 people are reported to have died after clashes at the Kanjuruhan Stadium located in...

Burkina Faso coup: AU condemns military junta

SOURCE: African Editors African Union has condemned what it called the “unconstitutional change of government” in Burkina Faso. On Friday, Junior...

Construction works have resumed on the  Havedzi to Anlo-Afiadenyigba Junction road in the Keta Municipality, which had been abandoned for seven years.

The ongoing works saw the fixing of the bridge at Havedzi, giving access to motorists to neighbouring communities.

The eleven-kilometre road, described by the people as a “death trap” due to its deterioration over the years, is reported to have claimed three lives from July 2019 to March this year, with its latest victim being a six-year old girl.

This sparked outrage among the youth who called on the local assembly and government to bring back contractors to fix the road.

Mr Godwin Edudzi Effah, the Keta Municipal Chief Executive (MCE), who toured the construction site on Friday, said the Assembly did its best to get contractors back on the road adding: “We’ll not rest until work is complete.”

“As the contractors have come now, we expect them to construct the road from Havedzi up to Anlo-Afiadenyigba Junction, which is about 11Km and continue from there to Metrikasa, another 15Km. From now till March 2021, we don’t expect them to leave site because enough funding has been secured for the project,” the MCE stated.

Togbe Kpamba III, the Project Manager, explained that work stalled because of financial difficulties and said the construction firm, KAPRA URC Company Limited, had finally secured some funding to continue with the construction with the assurance that work would be completed in a year’s time.

Some road users the Ghana News Agency spoke with expressed excitement about resumption of work on the road, which is the shortest route between Ho, the Regional Capital, and communities in the Keta Municipality as well as other towns in the southern part of the Region.

Mr Gabriel Osei, a motorist, commended the MCE for the efforts, saying fixing the road would not only reduce travelling time but make travelling pleasurable and boost businesses activities.

SourceGNA

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest News

Otumfuo calls for urgent steps to tackle alarming rate of deforestation

SOURCE: GNA Otumfuo Osei Tutu II, the Asantehene, has called for urgent steps to curb the alarming rate of deforestation...

Tragic: 174 people killed in Indonesian stadium stampede and riot

SOURCE: GNA - At least 174 people are reported to have died after clashes at the Kanjuruhan Stadium located in East Java, Indonesia on Saturday. This...

Burkina Faso coup: AU condemns military junta

SOURCE: African Editors African Union has condemned what it called the “unconstitutional change of government” in Burkina Faso. On Friday, Junior officers overthrew Lieutenant-Colonel Paul-Henri Sandaogo...

GRA sanctions three Auto Mechanic shops at Adenta and Madina

SOURCE: GNA The Ghana Revenue Authority,  GRA has seized documents and equipment from alleged tax defaulters for failing to issue Value Added Tax, VAT, invoices. GRA...

CAF to re-open bidding for 2025 Africa Cup of Nations

The Confederation of African Football, CAF, is to re-open bidding for the 2025 Africa Cup of Nations after stripping Guinea of the right to...

More Articles Like This