25.2 C
Accra
Sunday, October 24, 2021
No menu items!

Remains of hundreds of Jews unearthed in Nazi-era mass grave in Belarus

Must Read

Government lauded for commissioning Phase II of Accra Compost and Recycling Plant

Story By: Henrietta Afful Panelists on the 'GTV Breakfast Show' have hailed the commissioning of Phase II of the Accra...

Be wary of fraudulent letters on Visa Lottery – Cyber Safety Advocate

By Nikita A. D. Quarcoo The US Department of Visa Services has advised the public to be wary about the...

Police intercept truck loaded with Pharmaceuticals at community near Bunso

A cargo truck carrying assorted pharmaceutical products has been intercepted by the Juaboso Police patrol team at a Community...

Soldiers in Belarus have unearthed the bones of hundreds of people shot during World War Two from a mass grave discovered at the site of a ghetto where Jews lived under the Nazis.

The grave was uncovered by chance last month on a construction site in a residential area in the centre of Brest near the Polish border.

Soldiers wearing white masks on Tuesday sifted through the site with spades, trowels and their gloved hands to collect the bones. They also found items such as leather shoes that had not rotted.

Dmitry Kaminsky, a soldier leading the unit, said they had exhumed 730 bodies so far, but could not be sure how many more would be found.

“It’s possible they go further under the road. We have to cut open the tarmac road. Then we’ll know,” he said.

Some of the skulls bore bullet holes, he said, suggesting the victims had been executed by a shot to the back of the head.

Belarus, a former Soviet republic, was occupied by Nazi Germany during World War Two and tens of thousands of its Jews were killed by the Nazis.

The site of the mass grave served from December 1941 to October 1942 as part of a ghetto, areas created by the Nazis to segregate Jews and sometimes other minorities from other city dwellers. Brest was part of Poland before the war.

The remains were discovered when builders began to lay the foundations for an apartment block.

Local authorities want to bury the bodies in a ceremony at a cemetery in the north of the city.

“We want to be sure that there are no more mass graves here,” said Alla Kondak, a local culture official.

SourceEURONEWS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest News

Government lauded for commissioning Phase II of Accra Compost and Recycling Plant

Story By: Henrietta Afful Panelists on the 'GTV Breakfast Show' have hailed the commissioning of Phase II of the Accra...

Be wary of fraudulent letters on Visa Lottery – Cyber Safety Advocate

By Nikita A. D. Quarcoo The US Department of Visa Services has advised the public to be wary about the increase in fraudulent emails and...

Police intercept truck loaded with Pharmaceuticals at community near Bunso

A cargo truck carrying assorted pharmaceutical products has been intercepted by the Juaboso Police patrol team at a Community near Bunso Nkwanta, a border...

Conference of Major Superiors of Religious in Ghana launches COVID-19 response project

The Conference of Major Superiors of Religious in Ghana has launched a project aimed at reducing the impact of the Coronavirus on the people...

Ada Development Network condemns recent confusion between residents of Ada & Police

The Ada Development Network, has condemned in the strongest terms, what it describes as cowardly attacks and brutalities recorded in some communities between Wednesday...

More Articles Like This