By Nana Karikari, Senior Global Affairs Correspondent
United States President Donald Trump announced Monday that he has halted a military strike against Iran that was scheduled for Tuesday.
The president stated that regional allies prompted the delay to allow ongoing diplomatic channels to proceed. He indicated that a potential agreement favorable to Washington is within reach.
The decision introduces a temporary pause in a volatile conflict that has disrupted global energy supplies and strained international security frameworks.
Strategic Intercession by Regional Allies
The diplomatic shift followed direct requests from prominent Middle Eastern heads of state. Trump detailed the intervention on the social media platform Truth Social, noting that the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates asked him “to hold off on our planned Military attack of the Islamic Republic of Iran, which was scheduled for tomorrow, in that serious negotiations are now taking place, and that, in their opinion, as Great Leaders and Allies, a Deal will be made, which will be very acceptable to the United States of America, as well as all Countries in the Middle East, and beyond. This Deal will include, importantly, NO NUCLEAR WEAPONS FOR IRAN!”
Standby Orders and the Scope of the Threat
Despite postponing the immediate mission, the administration emphasized that military options remain fully operational.
Trump explicitly detailed his directives to his top defense officials and defense forces.
“Based on my respect for the above mentioned Leaders, I have instructed Secretary of War, Pete Hegseth, The Chairman of The Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Daniel Caine, and The United States Military, that we will NOT be doing the scheduled attack of Iran tomorrow, but have further instructed them to be prepared to go forward with a full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment’s notice, in the event that an acceptable Deal is not reached,” Trump wrote.
The president later reinforced the provisional nature of the pause while speaking to reporters at the White House.
“I put it off for a little while, hopefully, maybe forever, but possibly for a little while, because we’ve had very big discussions with Iran, and we’ll see what they amount to,” he said.
Severe Warnings and Stalled Diplomatic Tracks
The sudden pause comes after months of escalating tensions and hardline rhetoric from Washington.
Trump had previously issued a blunt warning to Tehran on Sunday via social media. He declared that Iran had “better get moving, FAST, or there won’t be anything left of them.”
The warning came amid stalled international efforts to resolve the war. The conflict was initiated nearly three months ago by the United States and Israel.
Multilateral negotiations aim to accomplish three major goals. They seek to establish a permanent cessation of hostilities, restrict Iran’s nuclear capabilities, and restore commercial shipping access through the Strait of Hormuz.
However, diplomats report that these discussions have yielded minimal concrete progress over the past several weeks.
Iranian Defiance and Diplomatic Counter-Proposals
Tehran has maintained a public posture of resilience while confirming its continued participation in diplomatic channels.
Iranian Foreign Affairs Ministry spokesman Esmail Baghaei addressed the administration’s warnings directly during a press briefing on Monday.
Baghaei stated that Tehran was not “intimidated” by external pressure. However, he confirmed that the “process of talks and negotiations” remained “ongoing.”
The spokesman added that Iran has submitted an official reply to the latest American framework.
“Our concerns were conveyed to the American side,” Baghaei told reporters.
Escalating Regional Drone Strikes and Attacks
The diplomatic maneuvers coincide with active hostilities and security incidents across the Persian Gulf.
According to Israeli media reports, Trump held a phone conversation with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Sunday. The White House has not independently confirmed or detailed the discussion.
Simultaneously, regional security remains highly unstable following new aerial attacks.
The United Arab Emirates reported that an unprovoked drone strike triggered a fire at its Barakah nuclear power plant. Officials in Abu Dhabi labeled the incident an “unprovoked terrorist attack” on the facility’s perimeter. Emirati authorities stated on Sunday that the fire was successfully contained, causing no disruption to plant safety or operational capacities.
While the UAE did not officially name a state sponsor for the drone strike, the nation has routinely blamed Tehran for breaches of the fragile regional ceasefire. The fresh round of incidents directly underscores the fragility of the current pause, coming at a time when both Washington and Tehran have signaled they are prepared to return to active fighting should negotiations collapse.
Concurrently, Saudi Arabian defense forces reported the interception of three hostile drones tracking through Iraqi airspace.
The drone strikes drew swift diplomatic condemnation from international mediators, including Pakistan.
Pressure for Harsher Terms and Tight Deadlines
The administration is facing internal pressure to escalate actions if negotiations falter. In a phone interview with Axios, Trump warned that the Islamic Republic is “going to get hit much harder” if the Iranian regime fails to present an upgraded proposal regarding its nuclear enrichment program.
Trump did not specify a final deadline for the conclusion of the talks. However, he confirmed to Axios that he demands an improved offer relative to a framework submitted by Iranian negotiators a few days ago.
The president also reflected on the volatile nature of the discussions in an interview with Fortune magazine conducted last week and published Monday.
Trump remarked that Iran was “version of dying to sign” a comprehensive pact.
“But they make a deal, and then they send you a paper that has no relationship to the deal you made. I say, ‘Are you people crazy?’” he said.
Domestically, congressional hawks are pushing for more decisive action. Senator Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., spoke on NBC News’ “Meet the Press” on Sunday to advocate for immediate U.S. intervention.
The longer the Strait of Hormuz remains closed as the U.S. tries to “pursue a deal that never happens, the stronger Iran gets,” Graham said.
Global Economic Strain and Energy Market Tumbles
The ongoing naval blockades and transit closures have caused significant economic shocks worldwide.
Iran’s restriction of shipping lanes in the Strait of Hormuz, paired with a retaliatory U.S. naval blockade, has choked the global distribution of crude oil, liquefied natural gas, and essential chemical fertilizers.
Global financial markets tumbled on Monday as a direct result of the geopolitical volatility. The international benchmark, Brent crude oil, rallied to trade around $110 per barrel.
The rapid depletion of emergency reserves has alarmed international energy monitors.
Fatih Birol, head of the International Energy Agency, issued a warning during a summit of industrialized nations in Paris. Birol stated that commercial oil inventories were depleting rapidly and had only a few weeks left.
The economic fallout has also impacted domestic U.S. monetary policy expectations.
In his interview with Fortune, Trump indicated that the ongoing war has complicated his evaluation of domestic financial metrics and his anticipation of lower interest rates.
“You can’t really look at the figures until the war is over,” Trump noted.
Boundaries of Iranian Sovereignty and Defense Readiness
Tehran has reiterated its regional positions while drawing explicit boundaries around its core strategic assets.
Spokesman Baghaei sought to lower regional anxieties on Monday by stating that Iran harbors no inherent enmity against neighboring states, explicitly mentioning the United Arab Emirates.
Nevertheless, Baghaei clarified that Iran’s armed forces are fully prepared for a resumption of direct military conflict if Washington executes its tactical threats.
He noted that Tehran would be “monitoring all movements” and was “prepared for any possibility.”
“If they make even the slightest mistake, we know very well how to respond,” Baghaei warned.
The Foreign Ministry also emphasized that Iran will not concede its fundamental rights regarding domestic nuclear programs.
Baghaei stated that Iran remains entirely unwilling to compromise on its right to nuclear enrichment. He asserted that the capability is fully legal and legally protected under the international Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons.
Whether the current diplomatic window yields a lasting deal or serves as a brief prelude to broader conflict remains tethered to the outcome of these fast-moving negotiations. With global energy reserves depleting rapidly and military forces on both sides maintaining maximum readiness, the coming days will decide whether the region transitions toward an unprecedented diplomatic settlement or a severe escalation of hostilities.












